A little snow, all door locks frozen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SD1290

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a little snow around the Seattle area last few days. Woke up this morning and all 4 locks are frozen, had to use the key to get in the drivers door. I’m amazed this is even an issue on a truck

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? There's a TSB out for the frozen door latches. I have a late 18 and never had them freeze on me, even with the -15 deg polar vortex temps we had here in MI

Squrtcap

Reaction score
I have owned a 1998 Ford F250LD since new and only had this happen twice when temperatures were below zero.
The new Raptor has very sensitive electronics and my ‘18 Raptor has had this once in higher temps and snow.
There is is a recall but it does not fix this, and I think the new Fords with all their electronics must be driven and parked with windows up and cleaned regularly to keep dust and moisture from fouling up sensitive electronics.
My sales rep tried to get me to purchase Fords extended warranty because of all the electronics, I responded, I will keep dirt and moisture out of the electronics and turned down the Ex warranty.
My F250 was heavily damaged by hail in 2004 and needed a new roof. The body shop got a couple drops of water on the instrument cluster and the auto lamp sensor.
Both had to be replaced.
Keep them clean and dry.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? There's a TSB out for the frozen door latches. I have a late 18 and never had them freeze on me, even with the -15 deg polar vortex temps we had here in MI

^ This.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open each of the doors, spray some WD-40 into the latches. Temp change can just bind them up from time to time. We just had a temp swing from 0F to 65F in 2 days here in Pittsburgh and my rear passenger door latch bound up and wouldn't release. I had to go into the truck and yank the lock loose. Been fine ever since.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a little snow around the Seattle area last few days. Woke up this morning and all 4 locks are frozen, had to use the key to get in the drivers door. I’m amazed this is even an issue on a truck
I have a late production 18 and my doors have froze multiple times. My fix was to pull the rubber plugs and use a hairdryer to blow in the large hole under the latch. There was a bunch of condensation that needs to be evaporated, I also sprayed a small amount of WD40 on the latch. So far so good.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try my
It’s a late 2018, taking it to the dealer tomorrow
Try my method before you waste your time at the dealer and they fail to assemble your door panels correctly and you have annoying rattles

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best fix for the freezing latch is to use WD40 White Lithium Grease.. I have been using it on my old GEN1, and continue to use it on my GEN2 and never had a freezing latch even after washing the truck with 32F temps.. all that you need to do is to spray all latches from the outside as you pull on the latch handle and inside of the mechanism thru the inner locking mechanism in the side of each door.. spray enough until it overflows!! That is the best and true reliable fix!9c9df606fd47eadf6eb0e56f23431ea6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which dealer are you using? How do you like them (would you recommend them)? Haven't needed to take mine in yet, but would like to find a reliable one. Sound Ford in Renton is closest to me. PM is OK if you don't want to put something out in public.