A little different Cam Phaser question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nights Watch

Reaction score
My 2019 Raptor was repaired two weeks ago for that cam issue by the local Ford dealership. All went well, no issues...When I brought it home I smelled antifreeze..No sweat, perhaps some spots he didn't clean, checked the reservoir all was well..A few days later the resevoire was down about an inch, I filled it..Checked it yesterday was down about an inch again with two tiny drips on the skid plate...Went to Ford this morning and was told about a 136.00 dollar diagnosis fee that may be charged...I said the leak was oviously related to the Cam fix two weeks earlier..But didnt want to step on my *****, so I will ask here before perhaps complaining later...Does the water pump need to be removed to get to the timing chain..?? Thanks..

BTW the truck is still under original factory warranty....again, thanks

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator hoses will have had to have been removed to get to the front cover and they would have drained the system, for at least a little while I would see if topping off the overflow res and waiting to see as the coolant goes through a few more heat cycles how much more air gets ejected from the system. If you notice more prominent puddles forming it should be easy to notice where it's coming from but from what you describe it sounds like air in the system from re-assembly. If coolant keeps going in but you aren't seeing white smoke or water coming out I doubt there is a leak you should be worried about.

OP
OP
N

Nights Watch

Reaction score
The radiator hoses will have had to have been removed to get to the front cover and they would have drained the system, for at least a little while I would see if topping off the overflow res and waiting to see as the coolant goes through a few more heat cycles how much more air gets ejected from the system. If you notice more prominent puddles forming it should be easy to notice where it's coming from but from what you describe it sounds like air in the system from re-assembly. If coolant keeps going in but you aren't seeing white smoke or water coming out I doubt there is a leak you should be worried about.

I hear ya, that was my initial thought as well, so I was not all that concerned about it..But when I saw the small drips in the skid plate I thought the system is not sealed, hence the leak....Thanks...

OP
OP
N

Nights Watch

Reaction score
The $136 diagnostic fee is bogus! Since the truck is still covered by the factory warranty…no diagnostic fees are in play!!

I'm glad Im not the only who thinks so...I was told if it is Cam related there would no charge, if not that fee come into play..I did respond by saying when you find the leak, you are obligated to fix it and it should cover that fee as well...Just like W0n70n said above, then it must be a hose and not a water pump removal..Should be no fee..heheh Ill let ya know...

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Raptor was repaired two weeks ago for that cam issue by the local Ford dealership. All went well, no issues...When I brought it home I smelled antifreeze..No sweat, perhaps some spots he didn't clean, checked the reservoir all was well..A few days later the resevoire was down about an inch, I filled it..Checked it yesterday was down about an inch again with two tiny drips on the skid plate...Went to Ford this morning and was told about a 136.00 dollar diagnosis fee that may be charged...I said the leak was oviously related to the Cam fix two weeks earlier..But didnt want to step on my *****, so I will ask here before perhaps complaining later...Does the water pump need to be removed to get to the timing chain..?? Thanks..

BTW the truck is still under original factory warranty....again, thanks
Ran into a similar issue as you with the crooked *** stealership. Got cam phaser fix and a few weeks later I noticed oil spots in the garage. Brought it in and they found oil pan leak and timing cover leak. They said warranty will cover the oil pan but not the timing cover. I told them they should cover the timing cover because they recently opened everything up. Service guy said no because they never removed the timing cover....I called BS but like you I wanted to be sure, so I hit up @FordTechOne. He said they're FOS, that's the first thing they have to do to remove the timing chain. So after a few words with the service guy he said he'd get back to me. He called me the next day and said they will go ahead and cover the timing cover leak also (like they're doing me a favor)....no $hit y'all gonna cover it, it's y'all fault its leaking.

OP
OP
N

Nights Watch

Reaction score
I went to the service department after 5 days, they advise slow pressure leak around the thermostat housing..(No #$%)..The are getting the waterpump gaskit and stat gaskit overnighted..(BTW it was Friday) They gave the truck back to me with a check engine light illuminated..My FordPass app was going bat crazy with faults..They took it back and repluged in whatever was disconnected...All fixed, the inside of my truck STINKS like oil and fuel...Too many probs, I am going to sell the lady buy another F150 now and come back to the forum when I can get a 2022 or 23 eight cylinder Raptor...You all have been an enormous help to me and thank-you...