A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no issues

Few hundred miles and no issues. Will continue to report every so often. Oh yeah almost forgot... SHAFT!! :)

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has been done for around 6000-8000 miles now, and it does not clunk any longer.

I did have something weird happen after a rear diff fluid change where the rear axle locks would not engage, it took a little while to get it back together in 4 wheel drive mode. Wondering if the LSD would not engage until the fluid had built up enough pressure to engage it.

SVTblackraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
56,000 miles and when I changed to my Driveshaft I bought from JDM, made by axle exchange now I get the problem. I didn't have the noise when I had the stock driveshaft but I want to keep my new one so I will see what can be done.

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI I kept bugging my ford dealer and they finally replaced driveshaft under factory power train warranty and now NO MORE CLUNK. Keep bugging them it'll fix the issue if your truck is in the build date range listed earlier in this thread. My truck must have had one of the faulty shafts... no more clunking at all now after replacement.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Grant, can you confirm what they modified on the new driveshaft to make the 'clunk' go away?

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grant, can you confirm what they modified on the new driveshaft to make the 'clunk' go away?

What I have heard is that most people that have the clunk have a faulty driveshaft... something about the manufacturer send out the batch of driveshafts to ford without putting the final coating on them, which in turn caused many of us to experience the clunk.

I don't believe they modified the newer driveshafts... they just have the coating they were supposed to have in the first place. I have had ZERO clunking issues now with many thousand miles put on the truck with the new replacement shaft. Night and day difference. You just have to find the right dealer... and keep bugging them. First dealer I took the truck to pretty much pushed me out the door not wanting to do anything for me... i remember the service guy saying "don't even think about asking us to replace the shaft"... I rolled my eyes and went the the other dealer in town. This Second dealer I took the truck to first wanted to lube up the shaft (which I let them do knowing it wouldn't correct the issue)... The lube fixed the clunk for about 200 miles and at that point i took the truck right back in and said the clunk is back. At this point they agreed that a new shaft was needed siting the TSB that has been talked about on this thread.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Had my shaft replaced due to the clunk and TSB. Unfortunately clunk came back a short time later. May replace the transfer case output shaft seal to try that next. For now I just deal.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 129