A few questions for those that know Raptors.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuvofGTI22

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First, I’d like to say thanks for looking and possibly answering my question … now a bit of backstory.

So, ever since the Raptors came out, I’ve wanted one. I’m finally in the position where owning one is possible for me, however it will be a used Raptor which I’m okay with, but I just want to make sure that the one I’m looking at is worth it as well as I won’t be getting into a money pit. Part of my hesitation is that I haven’t had the best of luck with used vehicles, namely the truck I’m driving now. I got into a 2007 F150 with the ever solid and most reliable motor ever, the Triton V8. If you know your F150 generations you’ll know that I’m being as sarcastic as I can be with text. I had plugs break, bad diff in the rear and, of course, the cam phaser issue. All told I fixed as much as I could on my own only to have a new motor installed. Great, right? Now before I bought the truck I took it to two independent mechanics, both of whom told me that it was one of the cleanest and most quiet F150’s they had seen from that year. All the problems happened about 300 miles after I took delivery. So, lesson learned, do more research before buying used.

Now some of these issues I was aware of, others not so much, because of this, I just wanted to ask about this Raptor that I’m pretty excited about getting, but I also don’t want to get too attached to it before I know a few things.

It’s a 2011 Raptor with 130K miles for round $28-$29K (Not sure yet about the price, dealership will be getting back to me on that).

What are typical issues with these trucks? What should I look out for? Are there or have there been anything with this generation that would make you run away from it?

Thanks again for helping me out, hopefully I’ll be a part of the Raptor family soon. :head3:

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6.2 V8 is a great motor. no horror stories here... check tires, if shocks were rebuilt....make sure shifts good, maintenance records if there some? carfax, check underneath very closely.....best of luck. Also i suggest to keep an eye on the classifieds here since buying from a member will give you a piece of mind somewhat.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good price! In April I found a '13 with 152K and asking $28k, got them to drop it to $26,500 since the tires were roached. I knew going in I'd have maintenance to do since Ford says 150K you need to do transmission service, both diffs, xfer case, spark plugs, etc. etc. (which really on any used vehicle would be a good idea anyway because you never know what the previous owner did or didn't do...or if they babied it or rode it hard & put it away wet). So I got new tires (KO2's for about $1300) and have been working my way through the fluid changes, so far everything looks good, either it wasn't abused or they did all the scheduled maintenance, either way no problems on mine yet and it appears really stout so it would take a lot of punishment. I'll be rebuilding shocks soon but that's just the nature of the beast, they are a maintenance item unlike everything else's disposable variety.

Any and all information can be found here (I have better luck with Google and prefacing it with "Ford Raptor Forum"). Be advised you WILL discover something else to buy every single time, and will likely get a laugh as well. No the 6.2L is not plagued with any of those issues you've dealt with. Yes you will probably go through tires more often, whilst grinning like an idiot and loving every minute of it. I haven't found any blatant weakness, there are a few little things you can address sooner later like:

Fuse #27: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/ford-raptor-fuel-pump-fuse-issue-45129/

Rocker panel rust: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/rusting-raptor-rocker-panels-37262/

Evap Canister Purge Valve (CPV): http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f183/tsb-11-1-5-canister-purge-valve-1347/

DIY Maintenance: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f7/diy-maintenance-thread-12330/

Good luck!!

OP
OP
L

LuvofGTI22

Reaction score
You guys rock! Thank you.

Yes, I figured that I would need all the 150K service done. Nature of the beast.

"whilst grinning like an idiot and loving every minute of it." < YES!!

I forgot to mention that I got ahold of some 2017 Raptor Wheels and tires so I'll have two sets - so long as that didn't change the bolt pattern which, if they fit on my 2007 shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again - hopefully in a few months I'll have pics.

and BenBB - love the avatar.

vitaminR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that truck would be due for its second shock rebuild as they are recommended at around 60K right?

Bolt patterns are the same for gen 1 and gen 2

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i think the price is a bit high for what it is.

i picked up a 2013 loaded screw with 119k on it for 30k
but daaaaaaaaaamn its clean.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that truck would be due for its second shock rebuild as they are recommended at around 60K right?

I've heard as low as 15K, think that's Fox's take on it but may have more to do with them doing the rebuilds, I think it varies greatly with use/abuse how many miles they are good for.

Whats the average prince for shock rebuilds on these?

$500-ish plus freight both ways for a set (all four), there are several on here doing them, along with Fox of course. Some have exchange programs, others you will wait longer for turnaround, or if you're up to it you could do it yourself:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/diy-stock-raptor-2-5-shock-rebuild-43929/

Or send them here:
Forged Offroad – We Rebuild Shocks – Specializing in Ford/Fox Raptor Shocks

i think the price is a bit high for what it is.

i picked up a 2013 loaded screw with 119k on it for 30k
but daaaaaaaaaamn its clean.

Prices seem to vary by region and options, I might have paid too much too but it was almost the exact combination I was looking for (silver supercrew, blue/black interior, with nav...could live without the sunroof but oh well at least tint and bed Line-X was already done). You got a sweet deal :biggrin:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet thank you - This seems more my speed. :Big Laugh:

Same here! Hopefully after the first of the year I'll be sending mine there, need to find some decent spring compressors from either Harbor Freight or amazon so I can save a little on freight (and mid perch it myself). I am considering Fox just because I might be able to add DSC rezzy's to the stock 2.5's but I need to call them and find out for sure...and see what kinda turnaround time I'm looking at, they might get slammed after Baja...

Oh speaking of weak points, you should probably do some research on the Lower Control Arm pivot bolts if you haven't already, Ford uses a slotted setup there that can be problematic under hard (i.e. Raptor) use. There's solutions ranging from solid pin and/or welded reinforcement (will require adjustable Upper Control Arms) to alignment cams like this (which I'm planning on doing along with the shock rebuild, SDHQ among others have them):
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/wheel-alignment-cam-bolts-20583/