A couple of issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott E

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I purchased a 2018 Raptor back in February and noticed a couple of issues. I plan on taking it in while still under warranty but want to get your opinions first
1) At cold startup, sometimes I have a really hard shift from park to drive or reverse. Doesn't matter if it's parked on an incline or not. Sort of just random. I've read some posts that maybe they just need to reflash it. What do you think?

2) Another issue at cold startup is when I start accelerating. It's almost as if the engine is bogging down and not accelerating normally. Almost as if the traction control is kicking in. Then, all of a sudden it goes away and the truck drives normal. I'm wondering if this an issue anyone else is experiencing or if it is just an emissions thing the truck does before cat converter light off. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the support!

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. My 18 does it during cold acceleration. Fordtechone says its designed to do it. I call bs. I believe others reported the problem as well. Only happens once and then it's fine.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Those sound like normal operating conditions for the Gen 2, from what I've heard and read from others over the years.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly, keep the appointment and ask that the most current computer PCM/TCM strategies be flashed to your truck.

I have a ’17 and an early build ’17 at that. She wouldn’t downshift short of 100% throttle in normal mode. it took 2 trips but they did flash the truck and it was worlds better.

Your concerns:
Cold shift into d or r -
and
cold startup (and immediately thereafter) acceleration

both of these are normal behaviors of the 3.5TT. Both can be worked around by allowing a brief warm up. I usually remote start, so I rarely see these behaviors but I do when I don’t warm the truck up first. I had the clunky first shift this morning leaving the gym, even with a short warm up, but the truck was only off for 90 minutes so I was close to operating temp so she shifted normally.

If you can get the revised programming, it should help a little all around but you have to express a concern to the service advisor and ask them to apply the latest programming. If you ask them, the S/A lists the request, the tech checks the programming and reports back its fine.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
^^Yup. Mine is gutless and has a mind of it's own for the 1st 1/4-1/2 mile in the mornings. On the slamming into gear deal when shifting into drive, mine does it occasionally, but when it happens, I'm not 100% sure the truck is not moving when I initiate the shift. Say I back out and then put it in drive, it sometimes happens. When I concentrate on coming to a 100% complete stop before initiating the shift, doesn't happen. Certainly more sensitive to shifting while in motion than anything I've owned before.
I haven't noticed a harsh shift ever, going from park to reverse, or park to drive. Only from reverse to drive.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2. My 18 does it during cold acceleration. Fordtechone says its designed to do it. I call bs. I believe others reported the problem as well. Only happens once and then it's fine.

It’s a characteristic of the transmission. Not sure what else to tell you. It only occurs one time on the first drive after a cold start.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I purchased a 2018 Raptor back in February and noticed a couple of issues. I plan on taking it in while still under warranty but want to get your opinions first
1) At cold startup, sometimes I have a really hard shift from park to drive or reverse. Doesn't matter if it's parked on an incline or not. Sort of just random. I've read some posts that maybe they just need to reflash it. What do you think?

2) Another issue at cold startup is when I start accelerating. It's almost as if the engine is bogging down and not accelerating normally. Almost as if the traction control is kicking in. Then, all of a sudden it goes away and the truck drives normal. I'm wondering if this an issue anyone else is experiencing or if it is just an emissions thing the truck does before cat converter light off. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the support!

What is your truck’s build date? It’s located on the sticker in the driver’s side door jamb.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
February 2018

If not already completed, your truck qualifies for TSB 18-2274 based on build date. The TSB has the dealer update the transmission calibration to resolve concerns of harsh/bumpy shifts and engagement concerns.