A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Installed the K&N Cabin filter yesterday. My OEM filter was filthy. Bug parts/dirt/who know what. I can't imagine running without one would be a good idea. I haven't had the smell issue come back since I've been shutting the fan off when I go through the car wash, so I bet that has something to do with it. Filter wasn't wet by any means, so who knows. Either way nice upgrade and easy to clean every 6 months or so.

Good call on shutting off the fan in the carwash. Even if the filter wasn't wet when you checked it, there would still have been a significant amount of moisture being drawn through it during the car wash process. Do you have extra wide car washes in your area? Owner's guide says Raptor is too wide for car washes, and from what I've seen I'm inclined to believe it. I wash my truck at home, but it would certainly be nice to have the option of a drive-thru car wash in the winter.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good call on shutting off the fan in the carwash. Even if the filter wasn't wet when you checked it, there would still have been a significant amount of moisture being drawn through it during the car wash process. Do you have extra wide car washes in your area? Owner's guide says Raptor is too wide for car washes, and from what I've seen I'm inclined to believe it. I wash my truck at home, but it would certainly be nice to have the option of a drive-thru car wash in the winter.
I'm not sure if our drive through washes are extra wide, but being in CO I would suspect they build them larger than they would in other areas of the country where more people have smaller cars.

The wash membership is awesome. It's $30/month for the diamond wash which is $19 each time if you pay as you go. I run it through quite a bit as the trees by my house make a mess. It's even better in the winter as I can run it through after a snow and get all the road treatment off. I have a membership for everything but my Camaro.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what they heck they are doing here? Looks like they pulled the fan and are spraying with a cleaner. Never tried to pull the fan before, gotta believe it’s not easy.
Yes, that's what they're doing. The Raptor has a cabin filter for this reason, among others. Unless you run it without one, your fan should be clean.

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what they heck they are doing here? Looks like they pulled the fan and are spraying with a cleaner. Never tried to pull the fan before, gotta believe it’s not easy.
Fan motor is being cleaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my '18 with the dealer 2 weeks ago, printed out and took the procedure FordTechOne posted here, and they said they did it/sprayed coils with EnviroClean. Got truck back on a Friday afternoon, smell was back by Monday morning. Mid-October, temps here in low/mid 80s, at most. Going back tomorrow to try again.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my '18 with the dealer 2 weeks ago, printed out and took the procedure FordTechOne posted here, and they said they did it/sprayed coils with EnviroClean. Got truck back on a Friday afternoon, smell was back by Monday morning. Mid-October, temps here in low/mid 80s, at most. Going back tomorrow to try again.
Bummer. Keep us posted...

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an ozone generator, closed up the truck, ran it for thirty min. Ran it for about 10 with the ac on max. This has helped so far for the last 4 days. We will see if it lasts.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's crazy. I've had Fords most of my life in South Florida(hot & humid) and have yet to have this happen to me. My wifes expedition is a 2018, but gets to get parked in the garage, so not sure if that is helping it from not stinking?