A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried pretty much everything mentioned on this thread except an aftermarket filter.
So far the best solution for me has been NOT running AUTO mode, and keeping the fan at a fairly high setting while using MAX A/C mode.
My theory at this point is the higher fan speed pushing more air through the vents keeps moisture from forming.
I agree with everyone mentioning a $70k vehicle or ANY modern car shouldn’t do this. Heck, let the fan run for a minute or two after I shut down the truck to dry out the system. There’s a mod I would buy all day long.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the K&N filter. I'll put it in when it shows up on Thursday ($46 shipped prime). I'll report back.

For those of you in more humid climates, you could turn your heat up to hi and shut the truck off once you stop, then remote start it. Should run with the heat on hi for the 15min that the remote start runs. Might solve the problem if you do that once a week or so.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I drive around South Texas quite a bit. I’m not sure how driving through all that dust would treat my AC system or allergies with no filter.

No idea how your allergies will fair. I will say that up until 4-5 years ago, no vehicle I've owned had a cabin filter, so there is that anyway. I've never had a "dust" related AC issue on a vehicle.
Pick your poison, I guess.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those of you in more humid climates, you could turn your heat up to hi and shut the truck off once you stop, then remote start it. Should run with the heat on hi for the 15min that the remote start runs. Might solve the problem if you do that once a week or so.

Will this work? When I remote start mine, it turns on the A/C if it's hot in the cab ... and the seat heaters and heat if it's cold. Maybe just turn on the heat and walk away then turn it off remotely. Or let it time out.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we thinking maybe an after market filter might solve this issue? Has anyone replaced with a non-OEM cabin air filter?

I replaced with carbon-filled cabin filter...no difference, as smell comes from inside AC system and blows directly in your face.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will this work? When I remote start mine, it turns on the A/C if it's hot in the cab ... and the seat heaters and heat if it's cold. Maybe just turn on the heat and walk away then turn it off remotely. Or let it time out.
Yes it works. Tried it just now. It remembers wherever you had it set last. If you crank it up and shut it off it’ll use that temp setting.

I don’t know if it’ll help the issue, but it may

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed the K&N Cabin filter yesterday. My OEM filter was filthy. Bug parts/dirt/who know what. I can't imagine running without one would be a good idea. I haven't had the smell issue come back since I've been shutting the fan off when I go through the car wash, so I bet that has something to do with it. Filter wasn't wet by any means, so who knows. Either way nice upgrade and easy to clean every 6 months or so.