A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked as a service writer at an independent automotive shop and broached this issue years ago with one of our most senior and respected techs. He said when you're 1-2 miles from your final destination, 1) shut off the AC, 2) adjust the temp control to its lowest setting, and 3) put the fan on its highest setting until you turn the truck off. The key is 1) moving ambient air through the system while driving to remove excess condensation, which, if left unchecked, will promote bacteria leading that locker room smell (this, of course, presupposes that there are no leaks inside the cabin too), and 2) you have to follow this procedure EVERY time.

I've been doing this for years in a variety of vehicles with perfect results. YMMV.

HTH.

My dad always said do that, but I just can't see turning no AC in a 120deg black truck for several miles. I don't do it in my DD, wife doesn't do it in her car, and nobody else I know has to do it.

Texas is hot, and 100% humidity can't help with the whole mold formation thing. That said, it's always been like this and somehow my other four F-150's didn't do this.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
On Sunday, I pulled the filter out and turned the fan high and sprayed some "no rinse" coil cleaner in the filter opening above the fan.
I did not put the filter back in. In the back of my mind, I am thinking that adding a filter would cut back on air flow across the coil and maybe allow condensation to sit/remain on the coils.
I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe Ford added the filter to the existing system that wasn't designed for the decreased air flow across the coil? There's got to be a reason it's happening to so many of us.
Anyway, 2 days in and no smells. I will update if the stink returns.

If we keep throwing enough shit at the wall, something will stick.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least you have a good attitude about it!

I am currently experimenting with running the A/C on max (not auto) and keeping a fairly high fan Speed. So far it works. When I run on Auto it seems to be worse. Like the slow fan speed let’s condensation occur.

110 comfort index in KC this weekend. Ought be a good test.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, it does work. Everywhere. SC doesn't have different scientific properties than the rest of the universe :)

OK, Mr Science. The coastal south has some atmospheric/climatic conditions that are extreme, especially for AC systems. Come build a hotel down here with your plans from CA or Las Vegas, where many originate, and see how the systems fail in this environment. Maybe the engineers, whose job it is, could use some of that universal science to design a system that doesn't require the user not to use it/use in direct opposition to its purpose at the times it's most needed?

I have tried it before, and it did not work. I also did not enjoy it. Pardon me for not wanting to run heat full blast in my face for 1-2 miles every day on the way home from work when it's 98 degrees, so I'm sweating in my $70k vehicle at the end of the ride. My Raptor does it. My wife's Expedition does it. My friend's Expedition does it. I drove a friend's King Ranch this weekend, and it does it. Again, it's the only car/truck I've ever had in my adult life that does this. It is a design issue in the vehicles, period.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a full week running without the cabin air filter, no smells.

I drive around South Texas quite a bit. I’m not sure how driving through all that dust would treat my AC system or allergies with no filter.

Are we thinking maybe an after market filter might solve this issue? Has anyone replaced with a non-OEM cabin air filter?

I’ve changed to a non-OEM filter and no change

Last edited:

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed this the other day. It's insanely dry and hot here in CO lately, so I was surprised. I have a car wash membership and wash the truck a lot. I noticed it came back going through the wash the other day since my AC was on. I shut it off immediately and ran the fan on high without the AC on after I was out of the wash all the way to the office. Smell is gone. I think having the climate control on while going through the wash sucks some moisture into the system and adds to the issue. Might try that if you're having the same issue. I'm with the others in that the cabin filter is likely the culprit.

Found that K&N Makes a washable one: K&N Air filter: (Part number VF2049)