A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I administered some Ozium into the AC system today. I sprayed it directly into the AC return behind the glove box and let it run for 10 minutes all closed up then opened all the windows for a good while today. Hoping to see what the results will be in the few days.

Not to discourage you, but tried this and it came back. My 2018 never did this, not sure why it's now an everyday deal with this truck.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to discourage you, but tried this and it came back. My 2018 never did this, not sure why it's now an everyday deal with this truck.

What frequency did you have to do it? Its been a week and so far so good. I dont keep my vehicles for very long anyways.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday (Saturday) I tried a home version of the procedure posted here by FordTech... I ran the heat full blast for 25-30 mins with the widows open to dry out the system. I sprayed Lysol in the exterior intake vents by the windshield 4-5 times, and could smell it coming through. I then switched to AC, and ran it on high, recirc, with an ozone generator on and the glove box open/cabin air filter out. I did this for 10-15 mins. Then I let the truck air out with windows open, etc. Drove it a little, smelled fine. Felt pretty good about it.

Got in today (Sunday) at noon, fired up the truck, and...

Stale vinegar blast in my face. Unreal.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yesterday (Saturday) I tried a home version of the procedure posted here by FordTech... I ran the heat full blast for 25-30 mins with the widows open to dry out the system. I sprayed Lysol in the exterior intake vents by the windshield 4-5 times, and could smell it coming through. I then switched to AC, and ran it on high, recirc, with an ozone generator on and the glove box open/cabin air filter out. I did this for 10-15 mins. Then I let the truck air out with windows open, etc. Drove it a little, smelled fine. Felt pretty good about it.

Ha. Same thing happened to me when I tried to burn up the mold. Was good for a day. I think I made the mold angry, it seemed to linger longer. Though we just got back from the beach, drove through some rains storms, etc. Back to the drawing board. I will try and find an access point to try and spray the coils directly.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Have you checked under the carpet for dampness? If you find moisture, you will need to have the updated evaporator drain tube installed per the TSB. As long as moisture is still present, the deodorizing procedure will not be effective.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked under the carpet for dampness? If you find moisture, you will need to have the updated evaporator drain tube installed per the TSB. As long as moisture is still present, the deodorizing procedure will not be effective.

How far do you need to check? I felt all around the carpet once I took the mats out, especially up top, and felt no moisture. Where should you pull back the carpet? Thanks!

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What frequency did you have to do it? Its been a week and so far so good. I dont keep my vehicles for very long anyways.

I never did it with my old truck, and I never had an issue with the AC. On the new one, I've tried an Ozone generator, ozium spray, a deodorizer bomb, lysol, Adam's odor neutralizer....tried the procedure mentioned by FordTech several times. No moisture under passenger dash.

It just seems like some of these trucks have the issue and others don't. It's kind of embarrassing to have a 75k truck and every time someone gets in it during the summer they ask "what the hell is that smell" and the wife says "your truck smells disgusting"

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I never did it with my old truck, and I never had an issue with the AC. On the new one, I've tried an Ozone generator, ozium spray, a deodorizer bomb, lysol, Adam's odor neutralizer....tried the procedure mentioned by FordTech several times. No moisture under passenger dash.

It just seems like some of these trucks have the issue and others don't. It's kind of embarrassing to have a 75k truck and every time someone gets in it during the summer they ask "what the hell is that smell" and the wife says "your truck smells disgusting"
Are you talking an ozone machine like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...3566753&id=6905950603120946&widgetName=sp_atf

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ha. Same thing happened to me when I tried to burn up the mold. Was good for a day. I think I made the mold angry, it seemed to linger longer. Though we just got back from the beach, drove through some rains storms, etc. Back to the drawing board. I will try and find an access point to try and spray the coils directly.

Hey Stinky, do you eat curry, asparagus, and garlic EVERY day?? :doublepuke: