A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is what I discovered with regard to this issue. For the first 18 months the truck got parked in the garage. It had that vinegar AC smell all summer long last year. I bought a GT500 late last year and they won't fit in the garage together, so the truck is now outside 24/7. Ever since then it does not have that smell anymore. Not once this summer have I noticed it. If your vehicle is garaged it could definitely have something to do with this. I'd still prefer to garage my truck but it is what it is.
Parked mine in a mixture of garage and outside, both at work and after I moved this Spring...made no difference for me. YMMV.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been diligent in shutting my AC off before I go through the car wash, then giving it a few minutes before I turn it back on. I've never had an issue since I did that and replaced the cabin filter with the K&N one. My best guess is the AC pulls in water and it sits in the system and sort of mildews causing the smell. Odd issue for sure, but that's worked for me.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updates on mine... I went quite a while this summer with no issues. I was parking outside fairly often and it's been hot here so I am using the AC daily. The smell started again a couple weeks ago, but not always. I have been parking in the garage recently, I will add my garage gets very, very hot and there is little airflow.
Had a trip to Springfield on Sunday (150 miles) so Saturday I replaced the cabin filter with a new K&N filter. I also Lysol'd out the filter compartment and let it dry out before replacing the filter as well as running just the blower for 10 minutes so all the vents were good and dry.
Did the 300 mile round-trip and it was perfect. Drove around town Monday no issues. Hot here but no rain.
This morning, after a night in the garage, I fire it up and it's probably worst smell yet.

Yesterday no issues, today nasty smell. go figure.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am sorry this thread has gone on so long, but I am hoping there is a common issue that can be solved. After 2 summers of trying to isolate the issue I am still somewhat stumped. It’s not consistent at all.

faultball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an older thread but it's happening to my 2020 :mad: gonna try the Lysol spray when I change my cabin filter. Wanted to take out the filter and blast a can in with the fan on.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the filter seems to help. I went to a reusable K&N with the spray cleaner and it’s helped.

Forumr

Reaction score
Filter change seemed to make mine worse. I sprayed what felt like an entire bottle of Lysol in the intake vent and it seemed to come back with a vengeance.

Not sure what to do next. Curious if I have mold in the system and changing the evap out makes a difference in the end?...