A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked around and saw similar topics on other forums, not much on FRF. If I missed it, point me that way!

2018 802a with 38K miles. A/C startup blast out vinegar smell - definitely from the A/C. Found some "solutions" to the problem out there "on the line", so far I have tried:

1. new cabin filter (done)
2. find water leaks and clogged A/C drains (done)
3. spray Lysol in exterior vents under wipers with A/C off and fan on high (done)
4. turn off A/C about 5 minutes before arriving at destination to "blow off" condensation around condenser (done for about a week now)

BTW - #4 is a pain-in-the-arse, never had to do this in my FX4.

STILL blasting out the Masengill air freshener. Tired of apologizing to passengers - "gee why does your badass truck smells like a feminine hygiene product?"

Anyone have any fixes for this?

Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in SC, so I deal with this more often than I would like. You've hit on the major "remedies", and all stink, no pun intended. I even bought an ozone generator to try, and it only moderately helped. Mine goes from vinegar/sour milk, to, one one occasion, a BO type smell...I was afraid I was going have a Seinfeld-type THE BEAST issue. It is absurd.

Ford absolutely denies it is a real thing, and I even asked them check it again 2 weeks ago when they were doing my cam phasers, and nothing really changed. Smell was back in 3 days. Try to use recirc as much as you can (it seems to be better than leaving the vent open), and try to keep it out of the sun/heat during the day.

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always turn off my AC several minutes before I arrive at my destination and crank up the fan speed to bring the ducts and vents back to ambient before leaving the truck. This prevents condensation.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always turn off my AC several minutes before I arrive at my destination and crank up the fan speed to bring the ducts and vents back to ambient before leaving the truck. This prevents condensation.

Doesn’t work in places like S.C. where the ambient air is 90+ degrees and 90% humidity.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the windows up and drop an Ozone spray in it to kill the bacteria..

How exactly do you do this? I’ve never done it before. Assuming you open a tube/can and leave the truck running and let it circulate?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How exactly do you do this? I’ve never done it before. Assuming you open a tube/can and leave the truck running and let it circulate?

Yup.. You can buy the ozone spray from most parts stores. The one I have used before you fog the inside and let it sit for 5 minutes, then start vehicle and run on Recirculate for a minute.
Shut off, drop all windows and let it air out for 10 minutes before entering.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.. You can buy the ozone spray from most parts stores. The one I have used before you fog the inside and let it sit for 5 minutes, then start vehicle and run on Recirculate for a minute.
Shut off, drop all windows and let it air out for 10 minutes before entering.

Thanks for the tips. I am assuming it works well otherwise you would have mentioned accordingly. Looks like ill be doing this tomorrow! Humid summer here in the mountains have made my wife and kids question what's wrong with my truck...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in SC, so I deal with this more often than I would like. You've hit on the major "remedies", and all stink, no pun intended. I even bought an ozone generator to try, and it only moderately helped. Mine goes from vinegar/sour milk, to, one one occasion, a BO type smell...I was afraid I was going have a Seinfeld-type THE BEAST issue. It is absurd.

Ford absolutely denies it is a real thing, and I even asked them check it again 2 weeks ago when they were doing my cam phasers, and nothing really changed. Smell was back in 3 days. Try to use recirc as much as you can (it seems to be better than leaving the vent open), and try to keep it out of the sun/heat during the day.

It's not a "Ford thing"; it's an A/C thing and it can happen with any vehicle that has air conditioning. Certain climates/conditions will exacerbate the common issue in which bacteria, mold, and mildew to accumulate on the evaporator core and create an unpleasent odor, especially when first turning on the A/C on a hot/humid day.

There are plenty of aftermarket chemicals available that will clean the A/C evaporator of contaminates and eliminate any odor, at least for the season.