A Big Fat Middle Finger to Most Dealers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I continue searching and calling. Finally spoke to Jorge Lopez of Tomball Ford. He has a Youtube channel where he has always stated no markup, we sell at MSRP. Supposedly people travel far and wide to get Raptors from him. Okay, I figure it'd be worth a trip to Texas. Never been.

Well, all's not always how it seems. Here's his deal, which I must say is better than what I've encountered, but nothing to write home about.

1. Must agree to finance through them. I guess if the rate is competitive and you weren't adamant about paying all cash that's no big deal.

2. $4,000 down payment. Also no big deal.

3. The kicker. Must buy their 100k mile extended warranty, supposedly honored around the US, for $4600.

So from my searching, I just got off the phone with 2 dealers, one at 10k over, another at 20k over, another who said they charge sticker, but it was a young salesman who I have a feeling had no clue what he was saying.

I may yet call Jorge back. Although I'm probably too late at this point.
Nah, too much BS. You can do better. Just be patient.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on the dealer; Ford as a company cannot control the dealership sales process.
Yup. My local dealer gave me the runaround, the whole works. I bought my 2020 an hour away for invoice over the phone.

That said, I wish Ford could do something about lousy dealers. They can not only spoil the brand, but they can p i s s all over it. It's one reason that I never bought another Toyota after my '91. In this town the Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota dealers make dirtbags look good. Acura is good and Subaru not so bad. But in other towns, that could be completely different.

CoolrainRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on the dealer; Ford as a company cannot control the dealership sales process. I purchased my truck new from Don Franklin Ford in Kentucky, it was most seamless vehicle purchase I’ve ever made. Salesman and finance manager were great, truck had a tank full of fuel and was immaculate.
Same .... I had a great experience, waited a couple of months but that was the only hang up..... the only thing I will say is the dealer didn't want me to send people his way for a 22.... sounds like they are getting on the ADM bandwagon

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. My local dealer gave me the runaround, the whole works. I bought my 2020 an hour away for invoice over the phone.

That said, I wish Ford could do something about lousy dealers. They can not only spoil the brand, but they can p i s s all over it. It's one reason that I never bought another Toyota after my '91. In this town the Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota dealers make dirtbags look good. Acura is good and Subaru not so bad. But in other towns, that could be completely different.
The barrier is the dealer lobbys; they have considerable power over legislation and the franchise system. The National Automobile Dealers Association is a major dealer support as well.

The all too often scenario is familiar to many, regardless of brand. The dealer charging “ADM” on top of MSRP and charging high docs fees. They claim they are entitled to do this because they’re “an independently owned and operated business”, and do not need to follow manufacturer recommended pricing. They have also written the laws so that they can charge above list price for manufacturer extended warranties and pocket the difference, as well as increase the interest rate quoted by a lender and profit on the difference between that.

Then when something goes wrong and they can’t service or repair your vehicle because they don’t have the proper training or equipment, they flip the coin. Nothing we can do, we’re too busy, it’s the manufacturer’s problem, we can’t trade you out, ask the manufacturer for a buyback, get a lawyer and sue the manufacturer not us, we’re not responsible for our failed repair attempts.

The current system is clearly designed to benefit the middle man in all aspects; they profit millions at the expense of the manufacturer and consumer.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, it's the classic bait & switch sales tactic. Tomball Ford in TX will sell you a truck at MSRP but be prepared to bend over and grab your ankles for the "creative structure" mandatory dealer financing and extended warranty purchase. Raptor shoppers can do better.

Last edited:

fts

Reaction score
The barrier is the dealer lobbys; they have considerable power over legislation and the franchise system. The National Automobile Dealers Association is a major dealer support as well.

The all too often scenario is familiar to many, regardless of brand. The dealer charging “ADM” on top of MSRP and charging high docs fees. They claim they are entitled to do this because they’re “an independently owned and operated business”, and do not need to follow manufacturer recommended pricing. They have also written the laws so that they can charge above list price for manufacturer extended warranties and pocket the difference, as well as increase the interest rate quoted by a lender and profit on the difference between that.

Then when something goes wrong and they can’t service or repair your vehicle because they don’t have the proper training or equipment, they flip the coin. Nothing we can do, we’re too busy, it’s the manufacturer’s problem, we can’t trade you out, ask the manufacturer for a buyback, get a lawyer and sue the manufacturer not us, we’re not responsible for our failed repair attempts.

The current system is clearly designed to benefit the middle man in all aspects; they profit millions at the expense of the manufacturer and consumer.
You are certainly on point. The NADA even sued a manufacturer recently for going direct to customers without dealers, thankfully they lost. Imagine the level of influence they have and the legal ground to even think they can sue it.

vgzprt

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a 2022 you can put in your order MSRP. Super nice people at the dealership. I put my order in last week worked with Greg. He called me today said they still have 3 allocations for 2022
Good luck here is the dealer info.
Greg Oates Tindol Ford in Gastonia NC
+1 (704) 312-7317