A better oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Napa Gold filters made by Wix have the best spec’s I have found.
  • Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812: 18 Grams Dirt (NAPA Gold # 1515), 99% Efficient At 23 Microns (Based On NAPA Gold # 1515, 1356, 7060)

Spinothalamic

Reaction score
Hey gents. First Raptor here; 2022 801a, 35”, pano roof and bead locks. None of this matters for my question, but people always seem to ask.

Is the motorcraft filter designed for full synthetic? I would guess it is designed for the blend which is OEM. I am not a petrochemical engineer, but I imagine there are slight differences. I’m going to do an oil change soon (just hit 1,000 miles today) and use Amsoil full synthetic. I want to use the best filter for a full synthetic oil.

Thank you.

Attachments

• FDC2DF91-BBB3-4169-873E-2C53EDDA5B14.jpeg
    FDC2DF91-BBB3-4169-873E-2C53EDDA5B14.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 22

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And if you are really, really a-n-a-l about your oil (like me), you'll consider a magnetic oil pan plug from https://drainplugmagnets.com/
I have one in my engine oil pan, transfer case, and front differential. I even have one in my riding lawn mower since it doesn't have a filter.
Roger doesn’t have a filter? My push mower does believe it or not.

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Motorcraft filter can be used with full synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils alike.

Quite a few of us here on FRF use the Ford Racing Oil Filter CM-6731-FL820 and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil with 5K mile change intervals.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m looking for a better oil filter than the FL500s. I have no hesitation running that filter, but I’m doing a 5k OCI interval with Mobil1 5w-30 and I’m concerned how dark the oil is getting in only 1-2k miles. I realize this is a characteristic of turbo motors, but with how hard the 3.5 HO is known to be on oul I’d rather be safe than sorry.I’ve also been considering switching to M1 Extended Performance 5w-30 at my next change.

I know I’ll have guys coming in here telling me the truck is spec’d for a 500s with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and so and so had an Ecoboost go 300,000 on that oil so it’s fine. I’m also sure that’s true.

But at the risk of starting another oil and filter recommendation thread, I’m looking for a solution. I do 60/30 city to highway driving with bouts of towing and WOT throttle mixed in.

Thoughts?

10,000 mile Mobil 1 full syn oil changes on fl500s filter. DONE....stop trying to create drama where it does not exist.

I love it when back yard wrenches think they know better then billion dollar oil and car manufacturers.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^I would note that billion dollar auto manufactures are billion dollar firms because they are dependent upon sales for their continued existence, and will do virtually anything to increase and encourage sales. Planned obsolescence is a means to that end. For example, neither my wife's Ford Edge nor her previous Ford vehicle had a transmission filter that you could change or service in any way, neither differential on my Raptor came with a drain plug from the factory, and recalls - often forced by the government - are not uncommon. Automotive engineers are smart and capable, but they make mistakes like anyone else and are constrained by all sorts of factors and forces. Remember when Ford Pintos blew up when rear-ended? Remember when certain Audi vehicles would put themselves in gear and drive through your garage wall into your living room? Remember when Chevy Vega engines would tank if they overheated because they were aluminum blocks with unsleeved cylinder walls?

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10,000 mile Mobil 1 full syn oil changes on fl500s filter. DONE....stop trying to create drama where it does not exist.

I love it when back yard wrenches think they know better then billion dollar oil and car manufacturers.

I love it when random idiots on the Internet think they know better than the next guy just trying to crowd source information.

You’re not going to like this part but I can guarantee I know more than you when it comes to the automotive world and I have the degree to prove it.

My wife drives 5 miles to work each way with the truck. Should I stick to a 10k interval and done as you suggested? Absolutely! If if wanted to destroy my motor.

Furthermore, with the oil analysis that other members have provided on here proving that the Ecoboost is hard on oil, why wouldn’t I be looking for the best possible solution?

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gents. First Raptor here; 2022 801a, 35”, pano roof and bead locks. None of this matters for my question, but people always seem to ask.

Is the motorcraft filter designed for full synthetic? I would guess it is designed for the blend which is OEM. I am not a petrochemical engineer, but I imagine there are slight differences. I’m going to do an oil change soon (just hit 1,000 miles today) and use Amsoil full synthetic. I want to use the best filter for a full synthetic oil.

Thank you.

If you’re going to run the Amsoil synthetic, run their filter as well. Their filters perform very well from what I’ve seen in the past. Other than that, the FL500 will handle synthetic just fine.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a comparison of the 500s vs the FoMoCo oil filter 2017-2021 Ford GT HG7Z6731A . GT filter built better but filter media is same . I suspect the because of higher oil pressures GT uses 5w50 oil. plus MSRP on a ford GT oil pump is $35,000 guess a $40 -70 dollar oil filter no big deal.

1650282814005.png

Last edited: