A better oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much material, if any, do you get on a typical oil change in the Raptor? I also only see 2 Ford-specific plugs on their website, neither seems at first glance to fit a Raptor. Which are u using?
I get a little dark material upon each 6,000 oil change on both the Raptor and my wife's Ford Edge. It's enough to cover the magnet and requires a bit of wiping with a paper towel to get it off.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest that the oil filter will catch any loose metal much better than a magnetic drain plug. Call me crazy.
It doesn't, not in my experience. My routine is Mobil 1 5W-20 oil and Mobil 1 filters in both my Raptor and my wife's Ford Edge, with oil changes religiously at 6,000 mile intervals. I always have material to wipe off of the magnet. Of course I change the Mercon LV in the transfer case and the gear oil in the differentials with less frequency - every other year just before winter - and there's always stuff to wipe off the magnet.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny you mention that, I was thinking of either going that way or trying an AMSoil filter.
Do what I did. I took the Mobil 1 filter for my application and compared how much it weighs with every other oil filter on the shelf for the same application. Of course I didn't bring a scale to Auto Zone, I just did a subjective comparison with one filter in one hand and the other filter in the other hand. This was some years ago and maybe somebody is trying to compete directly with Mobil 1, but at the time the Mobil 1 filter was noticeably heavier. Heavier either means more steel in the can or more filter medium or both.

To settle that question, I saved a used Purolator Premium filter and when I changed out a Mobil 1 filter I took them apart. There were quite noticeable differences inside. The number of pleats of filter medium was greater in the Mobil 1, the spring appeared to be more robust, and there were more threads where the can threads onto the vehicle. That was it for me. I was convinced and years and years later on Nissan, GMC, and Ford vehicles I've seen nothing to change my mind.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't, not in my experience. My routine is Mobil 1 5W-20 oil and Mobil 1 filters in both my Raptor and my wife's Ford Edge, with oil changes religiously at 6,000 mile intervals. I always have material to wipe off of the magnet. Of course I change the Mercon LV in the transfer case and the gear oil in the differentials with less frequency - every other year just before winter - and there's always stuff to wipe off the magnet.
Well, that is because the magnate is grabbing it before the filter does.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what I did. I took the Mobil 1 filter for my application and compared how much it weighs with every other oil filter on the shelf for the same application. Of course I didn't bring a scale to Auto Zone, I just did a subjective comparison with one filter in one hand and the other filter in the other hand. This was some years ago and maybe somebody is trying to compete directly with Mobil 1, but at the time the Mobil 1 filter was noticeably heavier. Heavier either means more steel in the can or more filter medium or both.

To settle that question, I saved a used Purolator Premium filter and when I changed out a Mobil 1 filter I took them apart. There were quite noticeable differences inside. The number of pleats of filter medium was greater in the Mobil 1, the spring appeared to be more robust, and there were more threads where the can threads onto the vehicle. That was it for me. I was convinced and years and years later on Nissan, GMC, and Ford vehicles I've seen nothing to change my mind.

I tend to believe it as Mobil recommends using their filter with any Extended performance product.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that my C6 has a magnetic drain plug stock. There’s truth to your theory Ruger, but I’d prefer mine to be part of the plug.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting that my C6 has a magnetic drain plug stock. There’s truth to your theory Ruger, but I’d prefer mine to be part of the plug.
I don't understand you. The magnet on the Dimple magnetic drain plug is integral to the plug.

It's not a theory and it's not my theory. Magnetic drain plugs attract and hold ferrous particles. It's what magnets do. I wipe those particles off the magnet every time I change the oil. There is nothing theoretical here.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AN oil filter will not help change the color of your oil - IT WAS DESIGNED TO FILTER PARTICLES OUT OF YOR OIL. Each brand will give the micron size it will filter to. Realise, when you start your engine, The relief valve in your filter might be too week and allow oil to by pass it. The manufacture will list the bypass spring pressure also. Darkened oil is mostly caused by cylinder leakage / blow by or elevated temperatures. Oil cooled turbos are exceedingly hard on oil.
I run Mobil one and Fords recommended filter - Both are cheap if sourced properly and more than sufficient for a street car. I personally change my oil every 2500 to 3000 miles and my filter every second oil change. Way more than sufficient for a street car / truck. I have magnetic drain plugs for all of the trucks pans. Transmission - most important.
Adder - I hate the auto spell check in this web sight - I had to correct my post twice.

Last edited: