A better oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a better oil filter than the FL500s. I have no hesitation running that filter, but I’m doing a 5k OCI interval with Mobil1 5w-30 and I’m concerned how dark the oil is getting in only 1-2k miles. I realize this is a characteristic of turbo motors, but with how hard the 3.5 HO is known to be on oul I’d rather be safe than sorry.I’ve also been considering switching to M1 Extended Performance 5w-30 at my next change.

I know I’ll have guys coming in here telling me the truck is spec’d for a 500s with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and so and so had an Ecoboost go 300,000 on that oil so it’s fine. I’m also sure that’s true.

But at the risk of starting another oil and filter recommendation thread, I’m looking for a solution. I do 60/30 city to highway driving with bouts of towing and WOT throttle mixed in.

Thoughts?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure any oil filter will prevent the oil from turning black after a couple of thousand miles. With that said, the Ford Racing filter is the best option IMO and what I run. Not cheap though. It’s model number CM6731FL82

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd second the recommendation for an M1 filter as well. I do pretty short OCI's myself, usually when the Intelligent Oil Monitor gets below about 25%, but based on my last couple of UOA's showing plenty of life left in the oil (TBN > 3) I may let this one go down to 10-15% and see how it reads. Based on the low overall amounts of wear metals, lack of insolubles, etc I'm not sure the filter is going to make a whole lot of difference in anything.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you are really, really a-n-a-l about your oil (like me), you'll consider a magnetic oil pan plug from https://drainplugmagnets.com/
I have one in my engine oil pan, transfer case, and front differential. I even have one in my riding lawn mower since it doesn't have a filter.

How much material, if any, do you get on a typical oil change in the Raptor? I also only see 2 Ford-specific plugs on their website, neither seems at first glance to fit a Raptor. Which are u using?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest that the oil filter will catch any loose metal much better than a magnetic drain plug. Call me crazy.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you're running Mobil 1 oil, I wonder why you're not running Mobil 1 filters as well. It's an excellent filter. I've used Mobil 1 filters in trucks, cars, and motorcycles for many, many years and am convinced of its quality.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking of either going that way or trying an AMSoil filter.