$97. what am i buying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel price is built in the sticker / msrp / invoice / whatever you pay for it. The dealer is NOT doing any favors.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless your running a tuner set up for high octane, that's just a waste.

the computer compensates so you have to run a few tanks to get the proper tune. yes the truck self tunes. but I do have the diablosport and love it.

Wilson's correct, it's in the manual. The truck makes one horsepower on 87 octane, and another rating on 91. Same with the 5.0 mustangs, and probably every engine they have now. The computer can detect detonation, and adjust the tune to run on an optimal setup for that fuel. The power ratings published are for 91. I find it funny guys will spend $400 on an intake to gain 10 hp, when they can spend a few bucks more a tank and gain 10 hp and run 91 lol.

It is a waste to run a higher octane than the computer can compensate for. I ran 93 for a few tanks, then I actually switched to 91 and my mileage went up a tad, and no difference in power. And it makes sense, the computer an only compensate for up to 91, but beyond that, it's like the older vehicles running a higher octane than calibrated is a waste.

So 87-91 all fair game and the truck will compensate accordingly.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's in your dora. Everyone pays the fuel charge.

Mine was filled up by the dealership and they threw in my first oil change in for free also. Checked on paperwork and no fuel charge on mine. As far as i am concerned it is cheap advertising if they treat you right and you bring them business.

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the dealership is charging you extra to fill your tank on a new $50K truck? classless

Agreed! Unless the dealer is giving a free full tank...you need to pay for it. So basically you pay first FUEL Charge to FORD then you pay extra to fill it up when you drive it off the lot! ...!!!

jrodrg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best part is if you finance the vehicle your financing that $97 plus interest.

Edit: I suppose it's not much...... $97 for 5 years @ 4% APR = $10 interest

Last edited:

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wilson's correct, it's in the manual. The truck makes one horsepower on 87 octane, and another rating on 91. Same with the 5.0 mustangs, and probably every engine they have now. The computer can detect detonation, and adjust the tune to run on an optimal setup for that fuel. The power ratings published are for 91. I find it funny guys will spend $400 on an intake to gain 10 hp, when they can spend a few bucks more a tank and gain 10 hp and run 91 lol.

It is a waste to run a higher octane than the computer can compensate for. I ran 93 for a few tanks, then I actually switched to 91 and my mileage went up a tad, and no difference in power. And it makes sense, the computer an only compensate for up to 91, but beyond that, it's like the older vehicles running a higher octane than calibrated is a waste.

So 87-91 all fair game and the truck will compensate accordingly.

-The fuel charge is listed on your dora, everyone pays it. The dealership gets charged for it and so will you.
- As far as I know the power ratings published for the 6.2 are actually based on regular 87 octane, not 91. You might pick up a few hp running higher octane fuel but you are not going to notice that difference during daily commute.

Richie_chi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It actually says in one of the raptors supplemental paperwork that comes with your owners manual that you will only get 411 tune using 91. I believe it said 401 on 87

Baddkarmaracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing important to add to this thread other than I paid 3.12 for 93 yesterday! Cost me less than 75 when the truck had an 1/8th of a tank!