Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

93-octane necessary?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by wjn, Mar 14, 2019.

1. GCATX

GCATX Full Access Member

When I bought my truck new in August, my first full tank was 93. After that tank, I decided to switch down to regular for a couple tanks. The acceleration difference was night and day, charts and graphs be damned. This is the first vehicle I have felt a difference between grades. Mostly diesels before. Been running 93 ever since.

I am generally trending at 16 mpg I spend a lot of time doing 80-90 on the highways around here. I may try regular again for a few tanks to see what the mileage hit is, and maybe see if I can live with the reduced 'tardedness again if the mpg doesn't take a big hit.

I fill up about once a week, work truck 25k/year.

2. Edbert

Edbert Full Access Member

There's an impact on mileage but generally under 10%, while the cost savings can be as much as 25%.

I usually split the difference on the entire argument and use mid-grade, then again that means I'm getting the worst of both sides :)

texrun38 likes this.
  3. poltrup

poltrup Full Access Member

So... where did you get lost... at the tuners are used to advance timing? or at forced induction is used to increase compression? OH! I know - you skipped over the part where they are "necessary" components to increase performance - but if you don't attenuate them with higher octane fuel you increase the odds of "pre-igniting" (to use your choice of words because "they matter") the air/fuel mixture before top-dead center causing your gasoline truck to run like a diesel.

But that's OK - you keep on keepin' on... because yer smart.

4. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson Full Access Member

I think he is playing with semantics, there is no such thing as premature detonation because that is technically preignition. preignition is when the mixture lights before the spark plug fires. detonation is knock, which is caused by the spark plug firing too early so technically it's not "pre" spark plug, but pre ideal lead.

5. lawdog

lawdog Full Access Member

In a high performance, twin turbocharged engine, you're not going to get the maximum performance/HP out of lower grade gas, period. Years ago I had an Audi A3, and that car was noticeable slower with lower grade gas. A B5 bi-turbo S4 I had was similar. I try to run 93 when I can, mix in 89 or 91 if it's really exorbitant where I am until i can get back to my go-to spots.

6. MDJAK

MDJAK Full Access Member

I can also tell a difference in power upon hard, not WOT, acceleration between 87 and 93.

Also, Costco sells premium right now for about $2.69 a gallon, which is about 30 cents cheaper than regular gas at stations nearby me.

I was in Canada last year, Nova Scotia to be exact, and there was no such thing as 93, only 91.

Decades ago I owned a then new Kawasaki 650 Sr motorcycle. I put a can of 103 octane boost in the tank. I almost got thrown off the rear of the bike on WOT. Huge difference.