91 or 93 Octane?

What Gas are you running?

Votes: 32 15.5%

Votes: 8 3.9%

Votes: 68 33.0%

Votes: 98 47.6%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It scares me that people are running race gas or consider race gas as an actual viable option that would improve their vehicle in either performance or mileage.
i would use racing fuel for track days, was for performance never about getting better MPGs.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It scares me that people are running race gas or consider race gas as an actual viable option that would improve their vehicle in either performance or mileage.
Who mentioned race fuel? These engines are designed for 93 octane, running anything less results in reduced power and fuel economy.

mark20rptr

Reaction score
I did some research of my own and found some improvements to mpg with 89 octane but very little if any improvements going from 89 to 91. This was during routine around town driving not long distance at high speed. It is possible that 91 could provide some benefits at constant speeds of 80 to 85 mph. Idk

Tomhorn

Reaction score
I run my own blend have a 330 gal tank with non ethanol and av gas 50/50 for 94 octane HUGE difference

KOK JR

Reaction score
93 is rare in my area, KY and In. So it's 91 most of the time. I can't feel any difference. Maybe a dyno would show something.

Armando D

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put 87 in my 2018 Gen 2 once only because 93 wasn’t available, engine did not agree. Immediately felt knocking ran through the tank loaded in a bottle of sea foam and I now only fill up at stations that have 93. Fortunately I have a BJ’s station near me with 93 octane. Good luck!

classydood

Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a right answer here, use what suits you best.
Difference is negligible if you’re a calm highway driver—I’d say save your money and go 87.
But if you’re looking to get the most out of your engine and boost, go 93.

From what I understand, these newer ECUs will “learn” the octane and manage boost.
There still IS a difference in performance—if you don’t notice it, you don’t need it.

Txrunner

Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a right answer here, use what suits you best.
Difference is negligible if you’re a calm highway driver—I’d say save your money and go 87.
But if you’re looking to get the most out of your engine and boost, go 93.

From what I understand, these newer ECUs will “learn” the octane and manage boost.
There still IS a difference in performance—if you don’t notice it, you don’t need it.
I used 87 never had a problem 34k miles 2020.