Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

8th gear slip

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Biggwrm, Jun 12, 2019.

1. evoke35

evoke35 Member

Any updates on if the Ford Tsb fixed 7th to 8th shift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Biggwrm

Biggwrm Full Access Member

Yea my tsb reprogramming fixed it.. atleast for now. Shifts much better.

Took a few hours because they had to verify the problem. According to them, surprisingly mine was doing exactly what the TSB said, during the test.

3. GCATX

GCATX FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can watch the tachometer climb between 7th and 8th, 200-500 rpms. I have video of the tach and gear indicator, plain as day. No wrench light though.

I had the TSB performed previously and have had to reset the adaptive shift deal a few times with Forscan. The TSB and resetting with forscan makes it go away for a while. Once it starts doing it, it seems to get more and more frequent. Time before last reset it would do it every single time at the shift, that's when I took the videos.

4. FordTechOne

FordTechOne Full Access Member

These transmissions being electronically controlled - as almost all have been for the past 15+ years - are very quick to set a DTC (one trip fault) when the calculated gear ratio doesn't match the expected gear ratio. It almost sounds like the converter is unlocking, which can easily add 500RPM...is your truck bone stock?

5. GCATX

I had a pedal commander for a while, now have a Burger version of the pedal commander. No tune or other, ever.

6. FordTechOne

FordTechOne Full Access Member

Any chance you've had the chance to evaluate the issue without the pedal commander/burger? I've had my fair share tuning issues; everything from my Hemi Grand Cherokee to my SVT Cobra...plug & play devices are no different

7. BHook

BHook Member

Had 7th to 8th issue, TSB performed in January, problem solved for now....

Biggwrm and GCATX like this.
  8. GCATX

It has done it without the pedal commander.

One thing I noticed, dunno if related, but while driving I generally accelerate steadily up to about 55 mph or so, then let off the pedal to an extent. Where I live, getting on the highway, about 1/4 mile from the house, 55 is the speed limit. 55 seems to be when it wants to shift into 8th, given my driving style.

Am I somehow tripping up the computer's adaptive learning? Like it gets ready for a low/no throttle upshift to 8th, but gets confused that I am still wanting to accelerate? Doubtful, but I know nothing about the strategy. I do know our diesel motorhome will kick like a mule during shifting, if the tranny computer is reset (batteries disco'd). Shifting gets better with some miles. Seems opposite. Apples and oranges comparison though.

9. Biggwrm

Biggwrm Full Access Member

Same exact of what mine was doing. TSB went away tho i dont even have 1k on it since then..