8th gear slip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Biggwrm

Biggwrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, he means it feels like it slips, just as he wrote. Has nothing to do with skipping gears. The engine will rev slightly between 7th and 6th gear, at steady throttle. I have been curious about this as well, hopefully we can keep this on track to see if anyone else has the issue.

Exactly, constant acceleration, rev up between the drop of 7th and the engagement of 8th.
Could be programmed slip or line pressure. Assume in sport mode it may be less noticeable, but will report back.
I have a company truck so “Ruby” only gets weekend attention..

OP
OP
Biggwrm

Biggwrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine shifted from 7th gear to 1st! Scared me like crazy! I have a tune on it...brought it back to JDM in NJ and they had to remove the tune...update the software from Ford and then put my tune back on. Its been about 2 weeks but so far so good and smoother.

Oh damn... JDM have any help in what caused it? Able to pull any data?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oh damn... JDM have any help in what caused it? Able to pull any data?

Yes Ford has a service bulletin for most 13-current model F-150s for this issue! We can fix it by using the latest strategy code from Ford but it depends on what your current strategy is. Otherwise you have to go to the dealer and have them perform a reflash to the PCM

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone notice a slip when shifting from 7-8?

I realize this is the first overdrive gear. But I notice the Rpms rise during the shift.

Torque converter or lockup? This normal?

I have an MPT tune on my truck and I am working with them on this issue. I have experienced what you are talking about a few times with the stock tune enabled (mine is not specific to a 7 to 8 shift and can happen in any gear), but the issue increases significantly as you add torgue via a tune (more torque increases frequency and magnitude of the issue). I created a log file with my Ngauge and I have noticed the slip number can be as high as 1250 when I experience the issue you are talking about and it seems to be at 300 or less when the shifts are good. Hopefully I get a tune back from MPT that fixes the issue because the rest of the tune is perfect (very smooth and unbelievable power increase) and I hate driving the truck stock. I never had this issue with my 2017, so it looks like they changed something between the years that creates this issue, but may have addressed something else?

Ray Knight

Reaction score
I would NOT tune this truck. Not unless you are prepared to have warranty denied when your transmission breaks. Its not worth it. I had my 17 tuned and luckily never had an issue with it but my 19 thank god i never tuned it because the transmission was a constant issue. The tuned truck, i got used to it. After a week or so you get used to it and it feels the same like stock. Until you drive a stock one! But stock with a pedal commander is just as fun to drive as tuned but you still have warranty. The transmissions on these trucks are $$$$$$ and very problematic.

Atx_Raptor

Reaction score
Was there every any resolution to this issue? My 18 does the same thing between 7 and 8. Last summer ford updated the tune and fixed the issue but now it's doing it again. Then mentioned then that if it kept doing it they would probably have to put a new valve body in the truck.

OP
OP
Biggwrm

Biggwrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there every any resolution to this issue? My 18 does the same thing between 7 and 8. Last summer ford updated the tune and fixed the issue but now it's doing it again. Then mentioned then that if it kept doing it they would probably have to put a new valve body in the truck.

Havent gotten mine fixed yet. Its going in the shop next week for the tsb trans flash. I rarely drive it so its been on back burner. 2yo and 7400miles. Hoping the flash will fix.

How long before it came back for you?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

If you have Forscan, you can reset the shift learning. That will fix it for a good while.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These transmissions do not just "slip". The Transmission Control Module (TCM) constantly monitors Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS) and Output Shaft Speed (OSS). If there is an unexpected variance between the two, it sets a DTC and Check Engine Light (CEL) immediately. Possibly even a Wrench Lamp.

Ford released a revised calibration for 2017 and 2018 (mid-year) models with the 10R80 transmission for various engagement and shifting concerns. If you have a vehicle within this build date range, I would suggest having the update applied.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-2274

2.7L/3.5L/5.0L Engine And 10R80 Transmission - Harsh/Bumpy Shift And/Or Engagement Concerns - Built On Or Before 15-May-2018
07 September 2018

Model:
Ford
2018 F-150

Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.0L engine and 10R80 automatic transmission and built on or before 15-May 2018 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Description Operation No. Time
2018 F-150 2.7L/3.5L/5.0L: Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 182274A 0.3 Hrs.