890 mile pick up and shake down drive impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irojas

Reaction score
A Raptor handling like a "sport sedan"!? WTF are you smoking? Maybe you are talking about your perceptions of 'handling' at 5/10ths of either vehicles potential? A proper modern sports sedan would leave any Raptor for dead on a curvy road. The Raptor driver wouldn't see which way it went. Conversely, no modern sports sedan would make it out of the gravel parking lot at a trailhead, so there's that.
I agree... I had a M4 for 2 years, and my Gen2 drives nice, but not comparable to a sports car.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Raptor handling like a "sport sedan"!? WTF are you smoking? Maybe you are talking about your perceptions of 'handling' at 5/10ths of either vehicles potential? A proper modern sports sedan would leave any Raptor for dead on a curvy road. The Raptor driver wouldn't see which way it went. Conversely, no modern sports sedan would make it out of the gravel parking lot at a trailhead, so there's that.
We all know it’s the Indian not the arrow. Put a talented driver in a s h i t car on track or road course vs. your typical schlub and talent will win out every time.

I just drove my Gen2 on 12W from Missoula to Lewiston. 99 miles of S curves. I was doing 90 on the straights and whipping around the curves. You’d be hard pressed to lose me in a sports car. Not saying you couldn’t but you’d know you were in a fight.
You got the exact truck I wanted! Leadfoot 801a with tailgate appliqué delete and base rims. I will have to get a black one for 2022. Great looking truck!
No leadfoot for 2022. Sucks.
So confused raptor... X5... M3... Tundra... Motorsickles... And Ikea furniture? I guess we have to budget somewhere
IKEA makes some nice stuff.

OP
OP
Owspeed

Owspeed

Reaction score
Just fitted the auto start-stop Eliminator removal plug. Easy to install and got rid of the annoying start/stop feature every time I start the Raptor again. More like all my Euro cars, once chosen stays and doesn't reset.
Works as advertised.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just fitted the auto start-stop Eliminator removal plug. Easy to install and got rid of the annoying start/stop feature every time I start the Raptor again. More like all my Euro cars, once chosen stays and doesn't reset.
Works as advertised.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca
I had that in my former Raptor and it worked as advertised. Only issue I found is if not careful it’s easy to break a clip or two when popping the tray out and it winds up not fitting back flush and rattles.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that in my former Raptor and it worked as advertised. Only issue I found is if not careful it’s easy to break a clip or two when popping the tray out and it winds up not fitting back flush and rattles.
So darn glad I could add the delete option from the factory on my 22!

OP
OP
Owspeed

Owspeed

Reaction score
7 weeks and 5400 mile update.
I've been logging up the miles, much for a cabin remodel project in Truckee.
747 Miles in 12 hours to San Pedro and back to Santa Cruz for cabinets doors and faces. Did an oil change and filter prior at 3500 miles. Ran flawlessly.

600 miles to Truckee and Reno twice to drop off heavy Sub Zero fridge. Then pick up wood flooring, in two loads. of 1235lbs each. Maxed the bed capacity but drove very well considering the sag in the rear.

MPG from Santa Cruz to Truckee was 18.2 and was getting 19.2 on way back. All with much high-speed driving. Felt was getting the best mileage with the exhaust in Baja mode. still pretty subtle in the cab.

Still love this truck more than ever.

Would like to be able to play video/ Youtube on the screen. Also would like Apple Car Play keyboard inputs while truck is moving. Silly not to be able to add destinations and locations to maps/Nav while moving.

William
2021 Raptor with 1235lbs in bed.jpeg2021 Raptor with 1235lbs load.jpeg

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7 weeks and 5400 mile update.
I've been logging up the miles, much for a cabin remodel project in Truckee.
747 Miles in 12 hours to San Pedro and back to Santa Cruz for cabinets doors and faces. Did an oil change and filter prior at 3500 miles. Ran flawlessly.

600 miles to Truckee and Reno twice to drop off heavy Sub Zero fridge. Then pick up wood flooring, in two loads. of 1235lbs each. Maxed the bed capacity but drove very well considering the sag in the rear.

MPG from Santa Cruz to Truckee was 18.2 and was getting 19.2 on way back. All with much high-speed driving. Felt was getting the best mileage with the exhaust in Baja mode. still pretty subtle in the cab.

Still love this truck more than ever.

Would like to be able to play video/ Youtube on the screen. Also would like Apple Car Play keyboard inputs while truck is moving. Silly not to be able to add destinations and locations to maps/Nav while moving.

William
View attachment 329520View attachment 329519
Awesome write up!

NorCalRapT

Reaction score
View attachment 321398
I picked up my 35 Leadfoot gray from Courtesy Ford in Portland last Friday Sept 24th. I was first in the list of allocations and was thrilled that it finally came in a bit earlier then expected. I worked with Sunny Patel who was a pleasure to work with. Said to be the first Gen 3 Raptor ordered in Portland and northern Oregon.
I was about to brake it in and get to know it on a 890 road trip sat and Sunday down the Oregon coast to Santa Cruz.
I will be honest, I was becoming apprehensive to spend this much money on a truck. I’ve spent lots of time in both versions of the GEN 2 which led me to get this raptor. I decided to hold out because I felt the upgrade to John three would be worth it and hold his value longer. In short I will say it’s far exceeded any expectations I had or expected especially based on my time in the GEN 2.
my impression of the GEN three in person was much better than a picture and has excellent presents. I was able to compare to an identical leadfoot grade GEN 2 with a buddy in Coos Bay to know the details. In my opinion the GEN 3 really does like like the next step forward and continues to grow on me. Makes the Gen 2 look, dated.
The interior looks excellent. The quality of the leather and most of the materials our nest up up from the previous Ford interior. Love the controls the screens and the interface. The access to the individual settings on the wheel are more intuitive and easy to learn. It did take me until day two to figure out how to change the ride modes. I was thinking it was a dowel purely for the engagement of the four-wheel-drive but love the tactile feel and the settings. Each one is unique and has a clear identity which changes the persona of the truck. I was driving a normal mode playing with the steering, suspension, and the exhaust. The next day I figured out it had sport mode. Completely changes the shifting algorithms blipping of the downshift aggression of the throttle mapping etc. Felt much more like my BMW M3 competition. Only threw it in Baja about a couple times but that is pure aggression. Will be fun to play with when I can get it on the dirt. No idea how they make that exhaust street legal.
Logging that many miles in such a short time I can’t get over how excellent the ride quality is. Cabin is quiet road feel and feedback is smooth and extremely luxury. A significant step above the GEN 2. I would even go as far to say it felt as good as my X5 or Porsche Macan S. The same will make an incredible road trip truck!
Getting comfortable with the way in the handling I was able to rally some of the best back roads and you could notice say increased level of control and improvement in handling with the suspension settings.
I won’t pretend that it sounds like the mock one with his V-8 but the sound of the exhaust is excellent. Reminds me more of a flat plane V8 or V 10. Really does have a trumpet or trombone element. That both my buddies who own raptors and a T-Rex drive it and they were thoroughly impressed. They also love the sound and felt it was vastly improved over theirs Gen2’s.
Was averaging between 15.5 and 17 miles per gallon depending how I would reset it and what part of the trip I was on. Was typically averaging about 75 to 80 miles an hour.
This is the first vehicle that has adaptive cruise control that I’ve used and I was thoroughly enjoying it especially through bay area Sunday traffic.
Again I was so impressed with the right quality. My truck came with 47 psi based on the TPMS I lowered it to 38 psi cold. Would float between 42 and 44 psi on the TPMS during the warmest parts of the day (85F) under fast road conditions. I liked the balance between handling and ride. I may try and drop it another two psi to 36psi cold.
Also to note I had three or 400 pounds of IKEA boxes in the bed which contributed to the excellent ride quality.

Last I will mention I’ve had some the time in the TRX and the new GEN three raptor easily out handles it. Yes the VA sounds amazing but also does sound like an overt motorboat.

Future. Thinking about 18” Method wheels and Toyo AT3 37’s. I have to say the current rate is so good I’m a little worried that it might impact the performance.

Let me know if you have any questions or as I think of more details I will add them.

William

NorCalRapT

Reaction score
View attachment 321398
I picked up my 35 Leadfoot gray from Courtesy Ford in Portland last Friday Sept 24th. I was first in the list of allocations and was thrilled that it finally came in a bit earlier then expected. I worked with Sunny Patel who was a pleasure to work with. Said to be the first Gen 3 Raptor ordered in Portland and northern Oregon.
I was about to brake it in and get to know it on a 890 road trip sat and Sunday down the Oregon coast to Santa Cruz.
I will be honest, I was becoming apprehensive to spend this much money on a truck. I’ve spent lots of time in both versions of the GEN 2 which led me to get this raptor. I decided to hold out because I felt the upgrade to John three would be worth it and hold his value longer. In short I will say it’s far exceeded any expectations I had or expected especially based on my time in the GEN 2.
my impression of the GEN three in person was much better than a picture and has excellent presents. I was able to compare to an identical leadfoot grade GEN 2 with a buddy in Coos Bay to know the details. In my opinion the GEN 3 really does like like the next step forward and continues to grow on me. Makes the Gen 2 look, dated.
The interior looks excellent. The quality of the leather and most of the materials our nest up up from the previous Ford interior. Love the controls the screens and the interface. The access to the individual settings on the wheel are more intuitive and easy to learn. It did take me until day two to figure out how to change the ride modes. I was thinking it was a dowel purely for the engagement of the four-wheel-drive but love the tactile feel and the settings. Each one is unique and has a clear identity which changes the persona of the truck. I was driving a normal mode playing with the steering, suspension, and the exhaust. The next day I figured out it had sport mode. Completely changes the shifting algorithms blipping of the downshift aggression of the throttle mapping etc. Felt much more like my BMW M3 competition. Only threw it in Baja about a couple times but that is pure aggression. Will be fun to play with when I can get it on the dirt. No idea how they make that exhaust street legal.
Logging that many miles in such a short time I can’t get over how excellent the ride quality is. Cabin is quiet road feel and feedback is smooth and extremely luxury. A significant step above the GEN 2. I would even go as far to say it felt as good as my X5 or Porsche Macan S. The same will make an incredible road trip truck!
Getting comfortable with the way in the handling I was able to rally some of the best back roads and you could notice say increased level of control and improvement in handling with the suspension settings.
I won’t pretend that it sounds like the mock one with his V-8 but the sound of the exhaust is excellent. Reminds me more of a flat plane V8 or V 10. Really does have a trumpet or trombone element. That both my buddies who own raptors and a T-Rex drive it and they were thoroughly impressed. They also love the sound and felt it was vastly improved over theirs Gen2’s.
Was averaging between 15.5 and 17 miles per gallon depending how I would reset it and what part of the trip I was on. Was typically averaging about 75 to 80 miles an hour.
This is the first vehicle that has adaptive cruise control that I’ve used and I was thoroughly enjoying it especially through bay area Sunday traffic.
Again I was so impressed with the right quality. My truck came with 47 psi based on the TPMS I lowered it to 38 psi cold. Would float between 42 and 44 psi on the TPMS during the warmest parts of the day (85F) under fast road conditions. I liked the balance between handling and ride. I may try and drop it another two psi to 36psi cold.
Also to note I had three or 400 pounds of IKEA boxes in the bed which contributed to the excellent ride quality.

Last I will mention I’ve had some the time in the TRX and the new GEN three raptor easily out handles it. Yes the VA sounds amazing but also does sound like an overt motorboat.

Future. Thinking about 18” Method wheels and Toyo AT3 37’s. I have to say the current rate is so good I’m a little worried that it might impact the performance.

Let me know if you have any questions or as I think of more details I will add them.

William
Thanks for the write up, I’ll be doing the same when my MY22 is ready! I’ll have a 680 mile ride back to the Bay Area and hope it goes as well as yours. Have my Vin and build date, just hope it stays true.