890 mile pick up and shake down drive impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Raptor handling like a "sport sedan"!? WTF are you smoking? Maybe you are talking about your perceptions of 'handling' at 5/10ths of either vehicles potential? A proper modern sports sedan would leave any Raptor for dead on a curvy road. The Raptor driver wouldn't see which way it went. Conversely, no modern sports sedan would make it out of the gravel parking lot at a trailhead, so there's that.

OP
OP
Owspeed

Owspeed

Reaction score
Beautiful truck and I agree, I love the look of the Gen 3. Curious why you are going with 18" wheels, are you pretty much a highway, Starbucks kind of person? Not knocking that at all, but 17" wheels look and respond the best to a Raptors suspension, that's what it is designed for. Great break in period and an excellent read.
The idea behind wanting 18” wheels is to keep the same side wall ratio of the 17/35 set up. I don’t want the side wall too tall and get to much fold and wallow if 37’s on 17” wheels. I also like the idea of fitting larger discs at some point. The Gen 3 brakes feel prett good so far, but I was not impressed with the Gen 2 brakes I have used in the past, and a common complaint with my buddies that have a few Prior Raptors. The last is I really do like the new Toyo AT3 and their 37” on comes in 18”.
I run their 35’s both the AT 2 and now AT3 on my modded Tundra and love them, especially in the wet and snow. But I am very impressed with thw current KO2’s. Handle very nice and quiet. So I’m no hurry to replace but more a preference and to personalize.

Thanks

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The idea behind wanting 18” wheels is to keep the same side wall ratio of the 17/35 set up. I don’t want the side wall too tall and get to much fold and wallow if 37’s on 17” wheels. I also like the idea of fitting larger discs at some point. The Gen 3 brakes feel prett good so far, but I was not impressed with the Gen 2 brakes I have used in the past, and a common complaint with my buddies that have a few Prior Raptors. The last is I really do like the new Toyo AT3 and their 37” on comes in 18”.
I run their 35’s both the AT 2 and now AT3 on my modded Tundra and love them, especially in the wet and snow. But I am very impressed with thw current KO2’s. Handle very nice and quiet. So I’m no hurry to replace but more a preference and to personalize.

Thanks
Sounds legit!

OP
OP
Owspeed

Owspeed

Reaction score
FE7263C0-95D2-4A9F-8B96-89029F7A1EF8.jpegA Raptor handling like a "sport sedan"!? WTF are you smoking? Maybe you are talking about your perceptions of 'handling' at 5/10ths of either vehicles potential? A proper modern sports sedan would leave any Raptor for dead on a curvy road. The Raptor driver wouldn't see which way it went. Conversely, no modern sports sedan would make it out of the gravel parking lot at a trailhead, so there's that.

I know sounds crazy but true for me. I to lots of track work on both cars and mostly motorcycles. So I’m familiar with limits. But on the street it’s much closer then it seems. For sure at the limit, the Sport SUV’s have the advantage but the Raptor is impressive. I would rally my F80 M3 Comp up the Santa Cruz mountain, my buddy in his 17 Gen 2 could hang well on my rear. A big factor was me avoiding the crummy beat-up road sections and rim bending pOt holes, as he would just plow over the poor road surfaces. Kinda of a scalpel VS the hammer. My Tundra is set up the same and is an effective mountain handler fOr such a big vehicle. The right suspension and the wide track with the big rubber helps.
Just for fun, I’m tempted to take the new Raptor to Laguna for the next track day to Spain a few laps, then I can see what it can really do. Will turn a few heads!

William

Playing at Thunderhill

Last edited:

hellcat

Reaction score
I know sounds crazy but true for me. I to lots of track work on both cars and mostly motorcycles. So I’m familiar with limits. But on the street it’s much closer then it seems. For sure at the limit the Sport SUV’s have the advantage but the Raptor is impressive. I would rally my F80 M3 Comp up the Santa Cruz mountain, my buddy in his 17 Gen 2 could hang well on my rear. A big factor was me avoiding the crummy beat up road sections and rim bending pit holes, as he would just plow over the poor road surfaces. Kinda of a scalpel VS the hammer. My Tundra is set up the same and is an effective mountain handler fir such a big vehicle. The right suspension and the wide track with the big rubber helps.
Just for fun, I’m tempted to take the new Raptor to Laguna for the next track day to Spain a few laps, then I can see what it can really do. Will turn a few heads!

William

Playing at Thunderhill
OMG, road course....my attorney needs to know where to send my medical bills becuse the right side of my head just exploded!

OP
OP
Owspeed

Owspeed

Reaction score
OMG, road course....my attorney needs to know where to send my medical bills becuse the right side of my head just exploded!
Will be perfect for that ultra foggy days at Laguna Seca, in the morning where they want cars to drive the track to dry it off before we hit it with the motorcycles