8-Hrs Later!-Raptor VS Cat’s Claw, Bushes & Cedar Trees!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the decision before I got the rap - that I would pinstripe it. I looked into quality ppf or ppf and ceramic, but where I am it would cost as much to repaint as those treatments. And although they'd reduce a lot of the damage, the ppf would get torn up from time to time and require panel replacement.

In the end I just did a DIY ceramic, recoat it yearly, and add a sacrificial 'layer' of wax over top. I appreciate this is silly from a purist make the truck shine like new perspective. That isn't my goal. So far it has been working for me - as branches grind in trail mud on the paint.

As a result, I've been to some amazing places. A couple of weekends ago, I threaded my way up to an old fire lookout tower. Got a couple of new scratches as a result and the rest buffed out with no effort.

bYzb7ih3W_DOYbmtEAyrZxQxN=w1109-h949-no?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Would 3M paint protection film help or is it not worth the effort of applying it all over?
Not worth the effort IMHO. Neither is the $1200 “Professional” ceramic coats unless…. You are just looking for a Beautiful Pavement Princess to Pimp The Strip :gayfight::dancingpoop:
For the cost of a ceramic coat you invest in your own Papas Detail Shop and have everything you need to correct anything but the deepest scratches. Saves me from going to Therapy too :hunter::hunter::killer:
I just finished my 8hrs on her, I’ll post some pictures shortly. You can still see some scratches at the right angle and light but overall looks outstanding and ready to Pimp Around until I hit the trail Monday.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks are not mountain trail friendly!!! My buddy and I went up old stage here in colorado. Everything is great until you get on those narrow trails which nature in turn gives you custom pinstripping. I ended up getting stuck in a rock garden and cause significant damage to my exhaust. Be careful! I learned my lesson and it's mostly dune running for me

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
The TRICK to saving all this the fact that the Raptor has several layers of clear coat. The more expensive the ride the deeper the clear coat. I need to get the meter that reads the clear coat depth.
The rule is, if your finger nail catches in it, then it’s going to be “Difficult” to remove. Otherwise it’s just TIME & PATIENCE
Correction Compound-Polish-Glaze-Wax,
Repeat as needed until you get the desired results. There are different grits within the “Correction & Polish Family” just like sandpaper. As well as different “density” of your pads to go with whatever product your using.
The Chemical Guys and Adam’s line of products make it simple enough so even I can understand it. ONE KEY ELEMENT is to invest the $350.00 in a Great buffer the first time or go to John’s school of Hard-Knocks and waist your money on several CHEAP-***-POS, before you get it right. It Makes All the Difference.
I also went to the Chemical Guys one day class and learned so much it was incredible, simple stuff like buffer speed for which product. I was doing it all wrong before and making it more difficult for myself.
I take care of 7-cars for the family so all the stuff I’ve invested in paid for itself in the first two cars. A 3-4 stage Detail would cost me 4-6 hundred for one car in Vegas. 76D13D9D-ED79-4326-8506-C19E7684969B.jpeg4D45E602-0C19-43A0-BE0E-D8B9AA7E4A17.jpegDDE7F6EB-2766-4087-960A-DD8B5A4E9E96.jpeg177A6AF9-1CF0-486E-9CDB-C676A2DF31B2.jpegC79E479B-CC2A-4356-A36F-FFBBBDBF812E.jpeg

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
These trucks are not mountain trail friendly!!! My buddy and I went up old stage here in colorado. Everything is great until you get on those narrow trails which nature in turn gives you custom pinstripping. I ended up getting stuck in a rock garden and cause significant damage to my exhaust. Be careful! I learned my lesson and it's mostly dune running for me
I flattened the tips on my Gen1 and snapped the trailer light hook-up off finally relocated it ABOVE the bumper where it should have been to start :gr_grin: