8-Hrs Later!-Raptor VS Cat’s Claw, Bushes & Cedar Trees!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Russ103 may be correct? I’m just going off of the information from a “friend” that details for a living. He could be misinformed or flat out lying to discredit what’s left of my good name on FRF? If Russ or anyone else would like to buy me a meter, I will investigate further and report back ( If I can figure out how to use the meter ) I think it would be a great investment for the forum.
I will also check with the fleet manager, he would never try to trick me :)
OK, I’m on a mission now to discover the real Thickness of our clear coat!
BOTTOM LINE: I have to stay out of the bushes or add some more layers of clear coat soon (I’m quickly running through them)

Coating Thickness Gauge CM-206FN Digital Paint Meter/Best for Automotive Paint Thickness Measurement (Resolution 0.001mils) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YVPCDG/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

:popcorn::Good or Bad::favorites37::grd:

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score

I found this article interesting snd now I’m more confused than ever!:Angry:
Disregard anything I said about paint, buy a Freight Harbor buffer and whatever wax you can get your hands on :buffer::buffer::buffer::birgits_tiredcoffee:artist1:

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TRICK to saving all this the fact that the Raptor has several layers of clear coat. The more expensive the ride the deeper the clear coat. I need to get the meter that reads the clear coat depth.
The rule is, if your finger nail catches in it, then it’s going to be “Difficult” to remove. Otherwise it’s just TIME & PATIENCE
Correction Compound-Polish-Glaze-Wax,
Repeat as needed until you get the desired results. There are different grits within the “Correction & Polish Family” just like sandpaper. As well as different “density” of your pads to go with whatever product your using.
The Chemical Guys and Adam’s line of products make it simple enough so even I can understand it. ONE KEY ELEMENT is to invest the $350.00 in a Great buffer the first time or go to John’s school of Hard-Knocks and waist your money on several CHEAP-***-POS, before you get it right. It Makes All the Difference.
I also went to the Chemical Guys one day class and learned so much it was incredible, simple stuff like buffer speed for which product. I was doing it all wrong before and making it more difficult for myself.
I take care of 7-cars for the family so all the stuff I’ve invested in paid for itself in the first two cars. A 3-4 stage Detail would cost me 4-6 hundred for one car in Vegas.

Great info here. When I do any 'cut polish' on mine, I do very little, very rarely, and with a very mild compound. I'd rather leave more scratches and maintain as much clearcoat as possible over the life of the truck.
Overall I've been impressed at how much abuse my clearcoat takes.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
Great info here. When I do any 'cut polish' on mine, I do very little, very rarely, and with a very mild compound. I'd rather leave more scratches and maintain as much clearcoat as possible over the life of the truck.
Overall I've been impressed at how much abuse my clearcoat takes.
I agree totally. With the Chemical Guys system it’s easy for me to figure out. In the class they taught us to always start with the least amount of Grit/cut like the fine finishing polish for taking out the spider webs and work your way down to accomplish what you can. This way your not waisting layers of clear.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
John, I just got back from an 8-day offroad/oveland trip and received a new design on my paint job that will put your pinstripes to shame. :p I'll have to post pics of the trip later when I have more time...
I can't wait for the pictures! R U bringing it down to PaPa's Detail shop??:buffer::buffer::buffer::banana-mario:

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for the pictures! R U bringing it down to PaPa's Detail shop??:buffer::buffer::buffer::banana-mario:
I will if I happen to be in that area! I’m in no rush to get it fixed. It’s just gonna happen again.

(Side note: No one in a Raptor should do the last leg of the RimRocker Trail as written in the trail guide.)

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ever-shrinking spaces
I've designed sites for decades. A standard perpendicular parking space has always been 9x18. Some go with a 10' W space instead, and some go with 20' length, but that's rare. That's never changed- from back when everyone had land yachts, to tiny econostuff in the 80s, to now.

More accurately, you could say the trucks are getting wider while the spaces have stayed the same.