7.5 engine question

Discussion in 'The SuperDuty Section' started by Rat, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I have an old '96 f-250 heavy duty (1 ton) 7.5 (460) engine. So my question to all you ford technicians is the left rear freeze plug rusted out at 75,000 miles. I got it out without removing the Banks headers but should I replace all of the freeze plugs ? I can see 4, are there 2 on the rear of block ? I am replacing water pump, hoses, thermostat. What else while I have it torn down ? Thanks for any suggestions

2. Hockster

Hockster My 45ft Bluewater Party Supporting Member

I would inspect the rest and if you see rust forming then replace them... Boy, been a whils since I looked at the back of a 460... There are usually 2 back there...

3. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

The outsides look ok, but not sure on the rears. I'll pull some easy ones to see. Thanks !

She's a big old gas suckin truck. But I like her, she been good to me for quite a few years. Like an old friend, gotta keep her around.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. 19-Kilo

19-Kilo ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! Supporting Member

on an older engine like that I would be hesitant to fix something that is not broke (the other plugs) may be more trouble than its worth and may make new problems.

just something I have had bad luck with.

5. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I know, why stir up a hornets nest when they are not bothering you ! There's always the "oh shat" factor to keep in mind. She's a good ole truck, work horse.