7.3 Gasser announced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bad. it isnt all that much lower than the 3.5TT HO EB

I bet it sounds great and gets worse gas mileage too.

Not gana lie, I was kind of disappointed. But I'm guessing this engine will have way more potential. Aftermarket will have a hay day.

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, underpowered in comparison to our EB... Much heavier, and try putting that thing in high altitude and see what happens... I will stick with the EB

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, underpowered in comparison to our EB... Much heavier, and try putting that thing in high altitude and see what happens... I will stick with the EB

I'm sure it's heavier but is it really "much" heavier? I'm genuinely curious. I'd love to know the *wet* weight of a fully dressed 3.5 HO compared to this or even the 6.2. I've searched before and found some dry weight numbers but no idea of they include all the turbo plumbing etc.

The Ford engineer in that TFL video said the 7.3 weighs less than the 6.2 which is pretty damn interesting considering it has iron block.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Remember, that engine is for F250's and larger, not F150's. Torque is the important factor in a heavy work truck.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This engine was designed from the get go to be a mule and last forever in a heavy truck with a heavy load, its low maintenance, designed for fleet applications; their own press release on the engine even talks about it. Comparing it to a high output 3.5l ecoboost is just stroking ego by looking at numbers. In the real world the 7.3l will outperform and outlast the 3.5l in its intended application. If the ecoboost could handle a 3/4 ton or larger industrial application ford would have used it as their midrange engine instead of dumping millions into the 7.3l. By the same vein the 7.3l would not do well in a high performance application, and I don't see the aftermarket embracing it, not when the coyote weighs several hundred pounds less and makes more power.

The power output has clearly been neutered, the specific output is lower than the 6.2l. It's partly due to longevity concerns I'm sure, but they also didn't want to step on their own **** and make it outperform the powerstroke in any way.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really outside the realm of possibility that Ford would/could swap the cam on this 7.3 to make it a high performer? A simple, reliable engine is exactly what the Raptor needs IMO (but it also has to perform). I think I'd prefer that route than the 5.2 GT500 engine honestly.