6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is kinda cool... I knew GM was integrating their TCUs like that... did not know Ford was.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"During production, each transmission built at Livonia will develop a sophisticated “birth history” that allows plant engineers to track every stage of production – starting even before major components arrive at the transmission plant. The system uses sophisticated Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to track components as they move through production – similar to the type of radio frequencies used in a speed pass to pay at gasoline pumps.

Each engine or transmission’s birth history is recorded and maintained in a database related to a bar code. Such data include hundreds of metrics, including torque levels for specific bolts, various testing information and major components identified for traceability.

The birth history allows engineers to trace the precise path taken by any part, so any quality control issue can be traced back to its source, and affected parts taken out of production. “This has potential to save thousands of unnecessary replacements, and spare customers considerable inconvenience,” said Frazier Anderson, plant manager, Livonia Transmission Plant."

Taken from Ford's site.

Raptor enroute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea what Dan said and they will probably ban your butt for it when they find out........................................ohh wrong rant my bad

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"During production, each transmission built at Livonia will develop a sophisticated “birth history” that allows plant engineers to track every stage of production – starting even before major components arrive at the transmission plant. The system uses sophisticated Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to track components as they move through production – similar to the type of radio frequencies used in a speed pass to pay at gasoline pumps.

Each engine or transmission’s birth history is recorded and maintained in a database related to a bar code. Such data include hundreds of metrics, including torque levels for specific bolts, various testing information and major components identified for traceability.

The birth history allows engineers to trace the precise path taken by any part, so any quality control issue can be traced back to its source, and affected parts taken out of production. “This has potential to save thousands of unnecessary replacements, and spare customers considerable inconvenience,” said Frazier Anderson, plant manager, Livonia Transmission Plant."

Taken from Ford's site.

All witty bits aside, that is WAY cool. Thanks for sharing it XJRGuy.

Falcon

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post FSM!!

On a side note-the 6.2 trans is controlled by the PCM. There's no module in the valve body.

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point GGM, that is absolutely correct. Not sure why the different configuration unless it has something to do with the use of it behind the 6.2L in the Super Duty.??

FSM

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just get a kick out of watching you guys banter back and forth. If anyone wants to know anything about Guitars, let me know. Until then, I am lurking and learning <G>.

Falcon