6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So to straighten me out the part problem was those three missing pressure indentations?

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also... that second number in the pics is that a lot number? If so do you think the two sets of gears were from different suppliers? Looks like they are using different formatting for the number...

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's correct froggy. There are three pressure indentations on each end of that shaft that hold it stationary in the carrier. The pinion gears then rotate around it on needle bearings.

100_0281.jpg

here is a pic of it disassembled. Keep in mind that this should not be able to be done after assembled from the plant.'

As far as your second question, could very well be but I literally have no idea.

FSM

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Well, the parts came in today and was able to compare the new gear set with the old one and this is what I found.........

You can clearly see that the new gear set was properly stamped

Where the old one was not

100_0277.jpg

FSM, judging from the pic, there are at least two loose pinion shafts. How many unpeened shafts were in this carrier? Thanks for sharing all of this. Very interesting.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is captivating FSM06. I have a couple of questions if you got time.

1. Why is there so much metal on the new gear tooth faces?

View attachment 186View attachment 188

Is this normal on new gears? I would think that is excessive flashing/tooth cutting residue. Must be a hell of a filter... or the magnet always has it's chia pet look!

What did this grind on? Did you have to replace that part too?
View attachment 189View attachment 185

View attachment 190

What is that small hole? Balance mark? That is a one piece shaft, right?

Thanks for all the cool pictures. I just thought the volkswagon tranny I tore down was complicated <G>.

Falcon

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying.... this sucks cause it is one of those... times that people are going to say fod did a poor job, and it has nothing to do with them...

It also means that if they find another one like this (and it seems unlikely that there is only one bad set of gears) they are going to have to do a recall... which sucks cause they are really just hitting their stride with quality...

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FSM, judging from the pic, there are at least two loose pinion shafts. How many unpeened shafts were in this carrier? Thanks for sharing all of this. Very interesting.
Kaiser, all six pinion shafts were missed.

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is captivating FSM06. I have a couple of questions if you got time.

1. Why is there so much metal on the new gear tooth faces?

View attachment 186View attachment 188

Is this normal on new gears? I would think that is excessive flashing/tooth cutting residue. Must be a hell of a filter... or the magnet always has it's chia pet look!

What did this grind on? Did you have to replace that part too?
View attachment 189View attachment 185

View attachment 190

What is that small hole? Balance mark? That is a one piece shaft, right?

Thanks for all the cool pictures. I just thought the volkswagon tranny I tore down was complicated <G>.

Falcon

To start Falcon, to some degree there is always "some" metal on the magnet in nearly all of the transmissions that I service even if they are just getting a filter change. Things like that picture are very likely where they come from. Second, the belleville type spring that provides the tension against the lo/rev clutch piston is what that ground into and yes that was replaced as well. As far as the small hole, I would venture to say it may be a balancing factor or possibly something for the press to use as a guide during the stamping process. ?? You guys are really making me delve far deeper into this trans process than ever before! I like it!

FSM

Went back and looked and it seems all six shafts have the hole indexed at about 10:30, so would have to say it has to do with the pressing process rather than balancing.

100_0274.jpg

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the NFO FMS06, sorry if I make your brain hurt <G>.

File:Belleville_washer.jpg
File:Belleville_washer.jpg
View attachment 199

Maybe that indentation is what the press is supposed to sync up with to aline the shaft with the body while it is being pinned??

Falcon

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another little bit of info I found out after repairing the transmission and re-installing it that I thought you all might find interesting. The mechatronic unit (or as Falcon calls it a "flux capacitor") that has the integral TCM is a programmable assembly. Basically it is a "one size fits all" or "plug and play" assembly. It comes blank and depending on what application it is used in (F-150, Explorer, Raptor, etc.) determines the program that is downloaded into it. The transmission would not operate other than the default ranges available, reverse and 5th, until it was programmed. Anyway, just a little tid bit.........

FSM