6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that works for me...

nicely weird and means nothing like what everyone thinks it does.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hypothetical question - How much would all of this cost to repair if the truck was out of warranty.

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical question - How much would all of this cost to repair if the truck was out of warranty.

Well, I can tell you that the repair cost is under warranty is approx $3750.00 The major expense in this repair is the replacement of the mechatronic assembly. Fine metal filings have contaminated the assembly. It alone is nearly 60% of the cost. I am anxious to get the new planetary assembly and compare the stamping. It really appears that they just flat missed this one.

FYI The parts department did say that a replacement assembly (complete transmission) retails for $5500.00

FSM

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the parts came in today and was able to compare the new gear set with the old one and this is what I found.........

You can clearly see that the new gear set was properly stamped

100_0275.jpg

Where the old one was not

100_0277.jpg

FoMoCo's hotline called today and asked if I could send photos of the old gear set............Seems they are quite interested in how this gear set got past QC!?

FSM

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great thread and great posts FSM :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

(and thanks to your boss for letting you snap some pics!)