6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, third gear starts aren't designed for full acceleration into highway speed traffic. I am sure it generated plenty of heat, but only short term. It probably didn't even get close to setting a TFT code (trans fluid temp) even though the gauge was climbing. It is really hard to tell the values of that type of gauge.

FSM

Correct. The temp went up very quickly but it didn't even come close to overheating the trans in the 50 feet or so. (I wasn't going very fast when I realized my mistake and kicked it into "D".)

I was just wondering what might happen if someone made a few WOT runs in "3" from a dead stop? Maybe they could burn something up?

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay gang, so here is the 6R80 w/ pics.

The unit w/ transfer case shortly after removal,

100_0250.jpg

Unit after seperating from transfer case,

100_0251.jpg

A couple photos of the mechatronic unit that contains all of the valving, solenoids, and transmission control module,

100_0253.jpg

100_0254.jpg

Bottom side of the transmission after removing the mechatronic assembly,

100_0255.jpg

Removing the pump,

100_0256.jpg

Assembly.........disassembled!

100_0259.jpg

100_0265.jpg

Okay, now for the failure. It started here at the pinion support shafts in the Ravenuex planetary gear set. The shafts apparently did not get stamped or "peened" for lack of another word to retain them in the assembly. They "walked" forward into the belleville spring on the under side of the center support.

100_0260.jpg

The shims or thrust washers that the pinion gears rotate on came out of the assembly and are where the small pieces of metal came from.

100_0264.jpg

100_0263.jpg

So, basically it was a component failure that resulted in metal contamination of the mechatronic assembly. The transmission itself is fine and with a new Ravenuex gear set and some thurough cleaning, it should be good as new.

FSM

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... and that is another subject I know nothing about...

I am fairly sure my transmission is full of ponies and pixies.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
FSM-
Thanks for the pics!! Sure looks a lot different than the 5R55E I have in my Ranger. Valvebodies look much simpler - more solenoids, fewer fluid passages and it doesn't look like there are any "BBs" to lose. Do you report back to Ford QC about that shaft not getting peened?

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FSM-
Thanks for the pics!! Sure looks a lot different than the 5R55E I have in my Ranger. Valvebodies look much simpler - more solenoids, fewer fluid passages and it doesn't look like there are any "BBs" to lose. Do you report back to Ford QC about that shaft not getting peened?

Indeed Kaiser, I contacted our hotline this afternoon shortly after finding the failure and inquired about how sensitive the mechatronic assembly is to the metal contamination. It is hard to see in the pics but there is quite a bit of fine metal filings as well. Actually, if you look at the pic of the mechatronic assembly sitting in the oil pan, just to the left of it is the magnet and you can see the "chia pet" of filings on it. I am sure there will be some inquiry from our FSE soon.

FSM

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a good thing you told me it's a transmission :mrgreen: Otherwise I would've thought it was a flux capacitor :mrgreen:

flux-capacitor.jpg

Seriously, thanks for taking the pics and sharing this with all of us!

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is verrrry interesting! Next thing ya know you are going to be telling us you know what all those parts are... <G> I got it figgur'd out... the FSM stands for Ford Senior Mechanic... right? But what is the "06" ... the year you started with Ford?

Falcon

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is verrrry interesting! Next thing ya know you are going to be telling us you know what all those parts are... <G> I got it figgur'd out... the FSM stands for Ford Senior Mechanic... right? But what is the "06" ... the year you started with Ford?

Falcon

Pretty close Falcon, yes the FSM is for Ford Senior Master and the "06" is the year that I aquired it. I have worked for Ford since 2001, and was a Chevrolet Certified Master tech before that. Ford would not recognize my training from GM and required me to start from scratch so to speak. You also had to have a min of three years tenure with Ford to be eligible for FSM. So basically, I had to wait for classrooms as they came availible after completing prerequisite classes on-line. The whole process took nearly 5 years.

FSM..........................now everyone knows <GG>