6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry gang but I will have to put this one on ice until Monday. Get this.......the same company that owns the truck with the 6R80 trans problem brought us a 2006 F-150 today that they wanted us to repair first. It will not move when put into gear..........I am starting to see a pattern here. They severely burnt the forward clutch and heated the trans to the point of melting the torque converter hub seal, losing most of the fluid.
It is spring here in our area and the drilling companies are encountering severe mud conditions to get to well sites. So much so, that if the truck cannot get to the well site, it is drug there with a piece of heavy equipment!! I am telling you this in hopes that it will ease your mind that the 6R80 failure was likely due to driving conditions and lack of common sense on the drivers part. Will Ford step up and repair it?

Yes, more than likely. I will return here monday evening.

FSM

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Damon!

Hey... just thinking... Right after I got my Raptor I selected "3" instead of "D" when I left a store parking lot. The street I turned onto has a 55 mph speed limit and a lot of traffic so I had to step on it a bit.

The Raptor didn't accelerate that well starting out in 3rd gear! :doh:

I didn't go more than 50 feet before I noticed the mistake and clicked the trans into drive...

Then I saw the trans temp gauge! After just that short acceleration in 3rd from a dead stop the gauge had moved up past halfway... it never runs that hot even in the deep sand washes. (It quickly cooled down though.)

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Damon!

Hey... just thinking... Right after I got my Raptor I selected "3" instead of "D" when I left a store parking lot. The street I turned onto has a 55 mph speed limit and a lot of traffic so I had to step on it a bit.

The Raptor didn't accelerate that well starting out in 3rd gear! :doh:

I didn't go more than 50 feet before I noticed the mistake and clicked the trans into drive...

Then I saw the trans temp gauge! After just that short acceleration in 3rd from a dead stop the gauge had moved up past halfway... it never runs that hot even in the deep sand washes. (It quickly cooled down though.)

wow, that is very strange.

The trans in 3 should not start out in third gear. Every other car or truck I've driven if you put the selector in 3, it limits the upshifts to just that gear (meaning the trans will work normally, it just won't upshift past third gear)

If you are saying you put your trans gear selector in 3 and it started out in third gear, that is bizarre.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wow, that is very strange.

The trans in 3 should not start out in third gear. Every other car or truck I've driven if you put the selector in 3, it limits the upshifts to just that gear (meaning the trans will work normally, it just won't upshift past third gear)

If you are saying you put your trans gear selector in 3 and it started out in third gear, that is bizarre.

Yup... exactly what I'm saying. The "1-2-3" selector on my Raptor doesn't limit the shifting as you described... it selects the exact gear. You can start out in second or third... which can be useful in very slippery conditions.

(many vehicles start out in "2" if you select "2" for just this reason... low traction conditions... )

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a good thing FMS? Since his tranny temp went up markedly... is that a reason for concern?

Falcon

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, third gear starts aren't designed for full acceleration into highway speed traffic. I am sure it generated plenty of heat, but only short term. It probably didn't even get close to setting a TFT code (trans fluid temp) even though the gauge was climbing. It is really hard to tell the values of that type of gauge.

FSM