6k over MSRP for a 18...Good Deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cubs1916

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, and Ive been doing some research. Im based just outside of Chicago, trying to buy myself a specialty vehicle and Ive decided between getting a Raptor and a Hellcat. Yeah, completely different in every way, except for the fact Ive always been a fan of both, and since Im finally in a position to be able to treat myself to one, I just want to figure out if Im getting a decent deal on the Raptor that I found.

Its a 2018 Screw Leadfoot, with an 802A tech package. The salesman told me that usually they charge 8-10k over but he'd get me at 6k over. Im not opposed to the premium, considering a friend of mine got his at 7k over from the same dealer on his 2017.

And then I found a Hellcat for less than MSRP.

Obviously I know which way you guys are gonna lean, and trust me I get it, it depends on what your using the vehicles for etc etc, which is why Im leaning more towards the Hellcat because Im not much of an off road type, but the Raptor is a badass truck.

But is the 6k a decent deal considering the fact that its a specialty truck and the 2018 are just now coming out? If it holds its value more so the the Hellcat over the course of time, then maybe it would be worth it.

Last edited:

LXCoupe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, and Ive been doing some research. Im based just outside of Chicago, trying to buy myself a specialty vehicle and Ive decided between getting a Raptor and a Hellcat. Yeah, completely different in every way, except for the fact Ive always been a fan of both, and since Im finally in a position to be able to treat myself to one, I just want to figure out if Im getting a decent deal on the Raptor that I found.

Its a 2018 Screw Leadfoot, with an 802A tech package. The salesman told me that usually they charge 8-10k over but he'd get me at 6k over. Im not opposed to the premium, considering a friend of mine got his at 7k over from the same dealer on his 2017.

And then I found a Hellcat for less than MSRP.

Obviously I know which way you guys are gonna lean, and trust me I get it, it depends on what your using the vehicles for etc etc, which is why Im leaning more towards the Hellcat because Im not much of an off road type, but the Raptor is a badass truck.

But is the 6k a decent deal considering the fact that its a specialty truck and the 2018 are just now coming out? If it holds its value more so the the Hellcat over the course of time, then maybe it would be worth it.

There's a couple around my area (Howell, MI) that have their 2017's $3,500 over msrp and 2018's at msrp. I'm sure you can talk them down to msrp or lower on the 2017's since the 2018's are on their way.

New 2017-2018 Ford F150, Escape, Fusion, Focus, Explorer in Howell MI | Near Fowlerville, Pinckney, Brighton MI & Fenton MI

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I mean, I usually charge $15k over market value when I sell a specialty vehicle. Lucille only has 4950 miles on her, 802A, no damage, wrecks or abuse, etc.

I’d probably let her go for $83k, but, for a fellow FRF member... $80k flat, you pick her up - I’m in NoVA.

:biggrin:

HECK no is anything over MSRP a good deal on a Raptor. keep a watch on the Gen 2 and new owners forums for adverts from salesmen here.

Just like John Gotti, MSRP can be got, you just have to do some homework / legwork. use Ford’s website, and find vehicles that are a close match, start contacting and clarify up front you are an MSRP buyer, ready to move, no ADM.
go from there.

Paying ADM is you sending the sales team on a month long vacation to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Hawaii and a road trip back home. I like my dealer folks and all, but not enough to be that generous.

C77OWEN

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Screw fully loaded in black that I will sell you for MSRP right now. On the ground ready for delivery and I am in Kansas City, MO. Short flight and you can drive it home, or pay the shipping. No admin fee or ADM with me. PM me for details if you are interested. $71,715

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Invoice is around 5k below msrp with another $2500ish ford hold back ... do not pay anything over msrp... tell that sales guy to go **** himself

Turk10mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched high and low in Texas and the best I found was $1000 over MSRP. i could have gone out of state for MSRP but then you have to travel or ship so it wasn't worth it. The Houston market is stupid on the raptors. I think it depends on where you are and what you have to do to get one at MSRP. I HATED paying $1000 over but it was the truck i wanted and I'm impulsive.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I searched high and low in Texas and the best I found was $1000 over MSRP. i could have gone out of state for MSRP but then you have to travel or ship so it wasn't worth it. The Houston market is stupid on the raptors. I think it depends on where you are and what you have to do to get one at MSRP. I HATED paying $1000 over but it was the truck i wanted and I'm impulsive.

Well, yeah... how much are you willing to pay for the principle of only paying MSRP? More than $1k over? sure, you would uphold your principle but be making a financially bad choice to do it!

The $1k over dealers know their markets, and they know you’re going to spend more to get an MSRP truck. So in the end your decision was likely as good as it would financially get for you. Take yes for an answer !