6.2L spark plug change - tips and tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ESPcoatings

Reaction score
I've read that changing the plugs on a 6.2 is something only a dealer or professional mechanic who knows the procedure should attempt because it's very easy to destroy the engine if you do it wrong. I don't get it. Is there anything to that concern or is it just a difficult job? Seems like the latter but if there is anything esoteric about the procedure I'd love to hear about it.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've read that changing the plugs on a 6.2 is something only a dealer or professional mechanic who knows the procedure should attempt because it's very easy to destroy the engine if you do it wrong. I don't get it. Is there anything to that concern or is it just a difficult job? Seems like the latter but if there is anything esoteric about the procedure I'd love to hear about it.
Neither. It is no more easy to destroy the engine changing the plugs on a 6.2L Ford engine than any other engine, and virtually any relatively accomplished non-professional can do it. It's a machine like any other. Work patiently, intelligently, and with adequate tools and you will be successful. The main difficulty has to do with physical access. It's a difficult job, yes, but not technically challenging.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whom ever you read that from clearly has no idea what they’re talking about …. Like “ruger” said, it’s just like any other engine. It is true it can be somewhat tricky getting to a couple of the plugs, but certainly not impossible or incredibly difficult. Just a little patience and accessing them with the wheels and fender liner removed makes it MUCH easier

ESPcoatings

Reaction score
Neither. It is no more easy to destroy the engine changing the plugs on a 6.2L Ford engine than any other engine, and virtually any relatively accomplished non-professional can do it. It's a machine like any other. Work patiently, intelligently, and with adequate tools and you will be successful. The main difficulty has to do with physical access. It's a difficult job, yes, but not technically challenging.
Thanks. THAT makes sense to me.

ESPcoatings

Reaction score
Whom ever you read that from clearly has no idea what they’re talking about …. Like “ruger” said, it’s just like any other engine. It is true it can be somewhat tricky getting to a couple of the plugs, but certainly not impossible or incredibly difficult. Just a little patience and accessing them with the wheels and fender liner removed makes it MUCH easier
I never heard a reason why it was supposedly so unique. Just that it is and to make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing do it. That never made much sense to me. Thanks!

Mineratron

Reaction score
Is it easy enough to pull the front wheel well liner out to get access to the lower plugs? Saw stuff about going in the letterbox with X,Y,Z but I’d rather just take the liner out… was easy enough on the mrs Edge Sport to get at the power steering pump.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother, it's just more work to remove and replace. You can access the plugs through the gap no problem.
Yup, with the possible exception of the one lower plug on the passenger side that is in line with the shock tower. That one requires a good selection of tools and some wrist agility.

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edge a 4 cylinder?
I just did plugs and coils on '09 MKX with 3.5 v6.
I could have done the front 3 in 5 minutes maybe.
Taking intake off for rear, wasn't bad...
Maybe hour, hour and half all together.
But more than 5 minutes.