6.2L Leaking Coolant at the Thermostat Housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF, I bought the o-ring from a Ford dealership and installed it as shown in the diagram that xtela posted. And the diagram precisely matches what I found had been installed by the factory when I first removed the thermostat housing.

You're buying parts off Amazon. You're having good success, granted, but if the "correct" parts aren't Ford factory parts, then I'll be damned! What you describe and what is shown in the photo you provided doesn't agree with either what came from the factory or what is shown in the factory manual. I'm thinking that something other than factory parts were installed when your engine was Whippled.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope, those are racing thermostats there not cheap!

Nothing gets changed on the heads when you install a supercharger.

Your Ford parts dealer did not specify "Raptor"

Someone must have change the thermostat in your truck and installed the wrong parts my friend.
Or your thermostat was damaged and the original rubber was damaged and you didn't realize it.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shows the same part # on that gasket for a 2011 6.2L Platinum as well. All parts show the same, except for the reservoir cap. Different PSI rating?

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF, my truck is factory stock. It was made to my specifications at the Dearborn factory, shipped to my dealer, and delivered to me with 1.5 miles on the odometer. Nobody messed with it until I did.

It was indeed a Thermostat Housing Gasket that I bought from my Ford dealership in an effort to make it stop leaking. It leaks still.

That Tasca diagram is exactly how my truck is configured. The thermostat goes in first, the gasket on top of the thermostat, and the water outlet on top of that. That and the diagram from the Ford repair manual provided by @xtela prove that "someone must have change the thermostat in your truck and installed the wrong parts" didn't happen. Odd that it's very different from the description and photo
you provided in your first post here.

The "Ford" diagram you provided with the gasket below the thermostat would make the thing leak like a fire hose. Think about it. There is nothing to make a seal between the water outlet and the engine block.

Taken as a whole, I don't believe a thing you've said. Thanks for trying.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shows the same part # on that gasket for a 2011 6.2L Platinum as well. All parts show the same, except for the reservoir cap. Different PSI rating?

Which diagram do you refer to, @EricM - the diagram that xtela provided or one of the two very different diagrams provided by MTF?

And did you mean radiator cap instead of reservoir cap? The cap on the reservoir is yellow plastic and has no pressure rating.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which diagram do you refer to, @EricM - the diagram that xtela provided or one of the two very different diagrams provided by MTF?

And did you mean radiator cap instead of reservoir cap? The cap on the reservoir is yellow plastic and has no pressure rating.

Looking at the Tasca site. You can see the reservoir cap (says W/SVT Raptor) in his screenshot. A 6.2L Platinum has all the same parts listed on that page, except for the reservoir cap. If the expansion tank is not pressurized, it's quite odd that they have different part numbers.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF, my truck is factory stock. It was made to my specifications at the Dearborn factory, shipped to my dealer, and delivered to me with 1.5 miles on the odometer. Nobody messed with it until I did.

It was indeed a Thermostat Housing Gasket that I bought from my Ford dealership in an effort to make it stop leaking. It leaks still.

That Tasca diagram is exactly how my truck is configured. The thermostat goes in first, the gasket on top of the thermostat, and the water outlet on top of that. That and the diagram from the Ford repair manual provided by @xtela prove that "someone must have change the thermostat in your truck and installed the wrong parts" didn't happen. Odd that it's very different from the description and photo
you provided in your first post here.

The "Ford" diagram you provided with the gasket below the thermostat would make the thing leak like a fire hose. Think about it. There is nothing to make a seal between the water outlet and the engine block.

Taken as a whole, I don't believe a thing you've said. Thanks for trying.

The Tasca diagram shows the gasket first!!!! But in actuality it goes around the thermostat.
Nothing has changed between 2010-2014 with the engine!

I don't understand why you're not believing me.
Think about it, what keeps the o-ring your using from collapsing and moving.
Does the o-ring your using stick up past the flat surface on the head, I'm sure it doesn't.
Diffidently not enough if it did, that's for sure otherwise it wouldn't leak.
So how would you get the seal tight if you're not compressing the assembly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As I have written previously, sir, the protrusion beneath the mounting flange of the water outlet compresses the o-ring against the thermostat, the pocket in the block where the thermostat goes, and the water outlet itself. You would know this if you'd read this thread, actually looked at the diagrams in the video you provided, or if you were thinking analytically about the work you say you've done on your own truck.

@MTF, kindly stop posting to this thread. Please.