GEN 1 6.2L Engine replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken valve spring caused it to drop a valve at 189k. Was really surprised because there was no warning whatsoever. I mean nothing. Drove the truck every day since it was brand new in 2013 until the motor grenaded in 2021.

I wouldn’t be scared of a high mileage Raptor at all, but if I bought one, I’d have the valve train checked. Seems like there were a few 2013’s that had the same failure around the same mileage.

Since the motor was coming out, I decided to have everything else done at the same time. Still drive the truck every week, but split time between it and a Bronco now.
Yeh I've heard of that but only from a small few. Mine is 2011 183 thousand some miles and never had any issues except 1 coil pack went out on me at 90k. I was going to do a complete rebuild just to make it new again as I already fixed all the rust issues. Looks brand New again. After talking to some older technicians at my dealership they talked me out of doing a Engine rebuild as they see up to 400k miles in fleet super duties with No problems. Basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda thing so I'm spending my money now on a Detached Garage. Hopefully lasts a while longer buying myself time. I just ABSOLUTELY love this truck. I bought it brand New in November of 2012 as a left over on the lot. I figure I spend about 20k more and it be restored new. I put 13k into it during this past winter with body work and Engine mods

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeh I've heard of that but only from a small few. Mine is 2011 183 thousand some miles and never had any issues except 1 coil pack went out on me at 90k. I was going to do a complete rebuild just to make it new again as I already fixed all the rust issues. Looks brand New again. After talking to some older technicians at my dealership they talked me out of doing an Engine rebuild as they see up to 400k miles in fleet super duties with No problems. Basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it kinda thing so I'm spending my money now on a Detached Garage. Hopefully lasts a while longer buying myself time. I just ABSOLUTELY love this truck. I bought it brand New in November of 2012 as a left over on the lot. I figure I spend about 20k more and it be restored new. I put 13k into it during this past winter with body work and Engine mods
That’s a lot of work, but I agree it’s worth it. I still love my Gen 1 and will never get rid of it.

I agree with the service techs. There was nothing wrong at all with my transmission, but I figured it was wise to go ahead and rebuild it. Been back to the shop 4 times for a small leak around the input shaft and it still seeps…. Wish I would’ve left it alone.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Broken valve spring caused it to drop a valve at 189k. Was really surprised because there was no warning whatsoever. I mean nothing. Drove the truck every day since it was brand new in 2013 until the motor grenaded in 2021.

I wouldn’t be scared of a high mileage Raptor at all, but if I bought one, I’d have the valve train checked. Seems like there were a few 2013’s that had the same failure around the same mileage.

Since the motor was coming out, I decided to have everything else done at the same time. Still drive the truck every week, but split time between it and a Bronco now.

Oh man not what i wanted to hear LOL. Im at 191 in my ‘13 Hopefully get it paid off before i need to do big repairs like that.

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man not what i wanted to hear LOL. Im at 191 in my ‘13 Hopefully get it paid off before i need to do big repairs like that.
Chances are, you’ll be fine. Like I said, there was no warning at all, though.

Was cruising down the street at 45mph and felt a weird vibration like a flat tire. Coasted to the side of the road and engine just quit. No pops or bangs, no CEL lights, no nothing. Turned the key and nothing. Really thought it was an electrical problem.

Towed it back to our shop, checked the battery and it was good. Still had no idea the motor was locked up. No oil anywhere. Put it up on the lift and dropped the oil. That’s when I found shrapnel everywhere and pulled the valve covers to see what caused the carnage.

hennecy1128

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately, the truck I was looking at sold. I guess the hunt continues and next time I better be a little quicker on the trigger lol.

But if anyone has paid a mechanic shop to do the replacement for them, I'd still love to have that price. I know I can find a used motor online (price varying depending on mileage) so cost of the motor is not the question; it's how much will the labor cost.

Yes I know ever shop is different and the area the shop is located can make a difference too; but any real-world experience would be nice to know.

brink

Reaction score
$12500 at Prime ford in Saco, Maine in 2021. F250 Long block directly from ford, swapped the cam and had to buy a new intake since it had a procharger on it before. Truck also had longtubes so that added some time to the labor.

jimbo04

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently looking to purchase my first raptor (Gen 1 because I can't afford a Raptor R lol). My question is: Does anyone have a recent cost of replacing the 6.2L engine?
I'm looking at a few different trucks in my area and only one is the color I want (Terrain); but it has almost 180K miles on the odometer. I'm nervous if I pick it up that the motor may go out soon. This truck will be my daily driver and I usually drive around 1K miles a month. I know this price can vary depending on location but if anyone has a recent comparison and doesn't mind sharing the cost to replace the motor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Before anyone makes the comment. Yes, I am aware that the motor MIGHT make to 250K miles or better. But I'm still nervous about it going out in my first year of ownership.

Thanks in advance!
I got a 11 harley davidson with 207,000 bought. At 170,000 needs motor now. Low squeal internal low on the head exhaust side loudest at manifold gasket. Pretty sure bearings on connecting rod are the culprit. High vac 25in/hg no misses, runs as it should with the exception of squel and slight knock. Debating throwing a motor in it or sending it down the road, huge loss on my end paid 17 for it June 6th 2022.