6.2 V8 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVG

Reaction score
I have seen some reports / comments on the 'piston' rocketing through the cylinder side-walls on both 5.4 and 6.2 liter gas engines.

I am considering a used 2012/13 (salvage) unit that will have the 6.2 engine.

1) Are there any 'bullet-proofing' modifications to consider doing, in order to extend the RELIABILITY, and life of the engine?

2) From my reading, it appears that Ford recommends either a 5W/20, or a 5W/30 Semi-Synthetic oil. Is this information correct?

3) Can one use a 15W/40 oil in the tropics where the annual temperature range is between 77° and 90° Fahrenheit, safely?
(I see some comment/s speaking to very small oil passages in the SOHC head. A 'thicker' oil may NOT flow properly, causing starvation and burn of the engine components)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1) Change the motor oil and other fluids more frequently than the factory service intervals.

2) The recommendation is for 5W-20 motor oil, with changes more frequent in dusty environments and in the event of hard use.

3) NO! Modern engines are designed digitally and manufactured to operate at closer tolerances than previously, and those tolerances are dependent upon very specific oil viscosity assumptions. If you use 15W-40 you will get poorer lubrication because the engine is specifically not designed to use oil that heavy - oil will not flow through apertures as intended, the oil pump will not function as efficiently, etc. A specific example: the 6.2L engine has oil sprayers that are aimed at the underside of the pistons to cool them, and the squirters are designed for 5W-20. Imagine what happens when you try to get honey to spray through a water hose nozzle.

OP
OP
S

SVG

Reaction score
Ford 5.4 & 6.2 gas V8's

Link the reports cause I have heard zero about this.

1) The truck that I'm considering, had a 5.4 with shredded pistons ejected up through the head. It is to be replaced with a 6.2 unit.
Also remember seeing it on a forum recently, but can't recall the exact link.

2) Found this video:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpEjODFI0Q0

3) A number of forums indicate issues with the 5.4:- Ford 5.4L Triton Common Problems in Trucks

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Noted, and Thank you!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes sir, the Triton engine had some reliability problems. But you won't have that engine, you'll have a 6.2L. What reliability issues have come to your attention concerning the engine that you WILL have???

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
165k with nothing nearing a major problem out of my 5.4L. It's a solid engine and the 6.2 is at least as reliable and probably even more so.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6.2 so far has been super reliable.

only issue i had was it died on me one time during a long ass decent about 12k feet up lol.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The work involved with switching a 5.4 truck to a 6.2 will be crazy, you need all new computers, harnesses, probably a transmission to start, better off putting another 5.4 in it and saving the $$$

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
The work involved with switching a 5.4 truck to a 6.2 will be crazy, you need all new computers, harnesses, probably a transmission to start, better off putting another 5.4 in it and saving the $$$

Yeah at that point throw that money at building up the 5.4. They can be made into beasts (like the 5.4 GT500 motor).

Edit: I believe the transmission is the same for the 5.4 and 6.2. 6R80 isn't it?