6.2 Radiator Leaks & Excessive Coolant Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JDMerk

JDMerk

Reaction score
The stock radiator can fail from off-roading and jumping.
Well no jumps for me, this is in a Platinum not a Raptor after-all.
What have you heard negative about the Mishimoto radiator? I couldn't find much in the way of reviews from direct experience in my research and I am not 100% sure that my issue is related to the radiator itself. I would like to make this one work since I already have a fair amount invested in it and they do offer a lifetime warranty, I just don't want to have to replace the thing every year.
I wonder if Ford changed the Radiator cap from 20>16psi at some point to reduce warranty claims on them. There seems to be some uncertainty on what is actually appropriate here.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well no jumps for me, this is in a Platinum not a Raptor after-all.
What have you heard negative about the Mishimoto radiator? I couldn't find much in the way of reviews from direct experience in my research and I am not 100% sure that my issue is related to the radiator itself. I would like to make this one work since I already have a fair amount invested in it and they do offer a lifetime warranty, I just don't want to have to replace the thing every year.
I wonder if Ford changed the Radiator cap from 20>16psi at some point to reduce warranty claims on them. There seems to be some uncertainty on what is actually appropriate here.
Mine is a 2010 with a 16psi cap, so that theory wont work, since platinum didn't have the 6.2 that year, it was later on, so they would of went up in pressure if yours is correct. I have jumped my Raptor lots to the point it has knocked the wind out of me in the dunes and I'm still sporting the original stock oem radiator.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine originally came with the 16 psi. but was releasing antifreeze from under the cap.
Tried a new 16 psi. and same thing a year later so I bought the 20 psi.
Been good for 8 years now. 12 years with the same stock radiator.

I cannot pinpoint exactly what the issues were, those posts are pretty old now. Sorry
You can try the search forum tab.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap...I just ordered The Mishimoto radiator for my 2013 screw $668 on Amazon.
I have Mishimoto radiators in 3 other cars all either supercharged or turbo and never had an issue so I've always thought Mishimoto was good quality. I thought certainly better than oem being all aluminum and 3 row. My truck is at 58k miles and the factory radiator sprung a massive leak today from the core I'm sure, I have not removed it yet, it literally happened this afternoon. I only know it's the radiator because the coolant is being sprayed into my engine by the spal cooling fans or the left one actually. Also will be doing distilled water flush and going with motorcraft yellow coolant , replacing thermostat (170 degrees thanks for the suggestion)
Should I not use the cap included with the Mishimoto? Guess I'll try it and keep an eye on it.
My upper hose also seems very hard but I thought that was normal in these gen1 raptors, im gonna monitor this closely. I hope this isn't going to be an ongoing problem. I do think 58k miles is premature for the oem radiator to fail but then I guess its still been 10yrs of use.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received Mishimoto unit today. It is pretty, I hope it works as well on my raptor as Mishimoto has worked on my other boosted cars. It's a pain in the @$& to install though. I got as far as removing the factory unit and cleaned up to continue the job tomorrow or whenever. Then I hit the pool with the family, grilled some meat and drank me some modelos lol