6.2 Radiator Leaks & Excessive Coolant Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMerk

Reaction score
I have a 2011 6.2 with chronic radiator leak issues. I'll start by saying that this truck has never overheated that I am aware of and when I bought it, it had an OEM Motorcraft radiator in it.

About 2 years ago I noticed a small coolant leak that was manifesting itself as puddles on the driveway. The leak appeared to be coming from the seam between the plastic end tanks and the aluminum core. I chalked this up to age/wear/tear and replaced the radiator with a Mishimoto all aluminum radiator, that I assumed would be a more durable option. In the process replaced the thermostat, both radiator hoses, radiator cap and filled with fresh coolant.

About a year later I began to notice puddles in the driveway again, this time the leak seems to be coming from the center of the radiator core. I also observed that the upper radiator hose had what seemed like excessive pressure on it, but the OEM radiator cap and the replacement were 19psi, this sounds high, but that's what Ford engineers deemed appropriate so who am I to disagree.

Assuming I received a defective radiator, Mishimoto replaced the radiator under their lifetime warranty. I installed the new radiator about a month ago and it too is now leaking. I have not investigated thoroughly yet, but this leak appears to be coming from the radiator itself and not a hose or other junction that would be easy to fix.

So I am back in the same boat, with a truck that is leaking coolant in the driveway and will almost certainly need another radiator. The question is should I give Mishimoto another try or go back to Motorcraft? I assumed the all aluminum option would be better but maybe their quality control is crap, the plastic Motorcraft radiator lasted 10yrs after all. Or is there something else going on here? I thought about the possibility of a head gasket issue, but the overflow tank seems normal. I would assume it would be very active if I had combustion gases leaking into the cooling system. I also did a coolant combustion gas test with the first replacement and it came back normal.

One observation I made was that the radiator outlet on the Mishimoto radiator looked like it was significantly blocked off which could contribute to the pressure buildup. I thought this might be a design flaw, but it appears to be the case on the Motorcraft design as well.

Mishimoto:
66697856867__6C4CED12-FE4F-42AC-BCB1-BB24AA002CFF.HEIC.jpeg

Motorcraft:
IMG_4339.png

Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Truck runs and drives great, starts easy and has 128k miles.
Both oil and coolant look clean and uncontaminated like they should.

OP
OP
JDMerk

JDMerk

Reaction score
Nothing? I can't be the only one who has had a radiator leak on this forum.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You would think that high pressure would overpower the rad cap spring. Any milkshake looking stuff under the oil fill cap?

OP
OP
JDMerk

JDMerk

Reaction score
You would think that high pressure would overpower the rad cap spring. Any milkshake looking stuff under the oil fill cap?
I would have thought so also about the pressure.
The engine looks clean, no milkshake or other signs of head gasket or block integrity issues.
I also tested for the presence of combustion gasses in the coolant and both tests came back perfectly clear.
IMG_2440.jpegIMG_2441.jpegIMG_2442.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Over the weekend I picked up a 16psi cap at Autozone and replaced the 19psi that was on it. Will have to wait and see if that changes anything, the upper radiator hose still feels really tight as soon as I start up.
If your temperature never goes over half way on the gauge, you are not over heating. Is the reservoir inbetween the fill lines? It should be at or near the cold line in the morning and near the top line when hot. Make sure it is fluctuating, if it isn't there is a blockage somewhere.

OP
OP
JDMerk

JDMerk

Reaction score
Temp is rock steady in the middle, the coolant overflow does fluctuate. I am going to keep a close eye on it over the next week or so with the new 16lb rad cap I just installed so see if anything changes. That upper radiator hose just feels so tight compared to my other vehicles, it just doesn't seem light it should create so much pressure so quickly.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Over the weekend I picked up a 16psi cap at Autozone and replaced the 19psi that was on it. Will have to wait and see if that changes anything, the upper radiator hose still feels really tight as soon as I start up.
The stock radiator can fail from off-roading and jumping.
And I've seen more than owner complain about the Mishimoto radiator.
CBR is a better one if you're interested.
I put a OEM Motorcraft one on, and it's 20 psi., because the stock 16 psi. cap would leak.
Screenshot 2022-02-28 171056.jpg

I would suggest using a lower temp thermostat.
I purchased a Racing MotoRad full one inch opening thermostat, 170 degree

Thermostats.jpg

Last edited: