5x7 JL C5 570 speakers from The Car Stereo Company!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested in how this turns out. I have some HAT Legatias from my old car for a front stage and an SI BM MKIII shallow 12" sub that i want to put in this truck along with my Zapco DC Ref amps. Need to get a good signal out first and trying to decide what to do with rear doors and center speaker. Maybe i'll do an MS-8 or Bit 1.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too was looking at the Bit 1/Bit 10. My hangup with some ofnthesenisnthe need for the external volume nob. I want everything to run like factory from the factory HU.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Ok so I'm calling it quits for now, time for dinner but I decided to start tonight and made some progress. I got both of my tweeters mounted in the A-pillars. Wires run, not connected to x-overs yet.

I also got the door woofer installed on the drivers side. I had to run out and get some foam weatherstrip because the JLs are just a tad smaller than the stock speakers or else I'd probably have both speakers in at least.

So what I have right now is no tweeters, 1 JL, 1 Sony. It actually worked out well because I was able to compare the two at the same time. I made 3 important and definitive observations:

The upper mid range to high frequency sound is not as loud from the JL 5 x 7 as the stock Sony - However it's quite alarming how high of a frequency is coming from the Sony "mid bass woofer". sounds i thought were coming from the tweeters are actually coming from the door speakers. with that in mind...

The stock tweeters are basically useless. Without any tweeters at all it really didn't sound all that different. I am hoping the JL tweeters will bring the system to life.

The "punchy" and lower mid range frequency sounds worlds better with the JL's. where the Sony's sound like they mute out when the bass hits or just sound straight up distorted, I did not note any distortion on the JL side and the bass was very crisp.

Don't call it until it's all done, but I think at the very least this setup will remedy the sloppy sounding mids and non-existent high's the stock system delivers.

*edit* This was all at high volume mind you. the Sony system is fine at low volumes but really let me down at high volume. don't go on a witch hunt thinking the stock system is total crap, i'm sure it's fine for some people.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
an amp will solve the loss of bass in the upper range. it will provide the power necessary for the speakers and give you the crossover adjustment.

for those of you wanting to know (bird already knows) the oem speakers were designed to run off minimal power, so putting a speaker that requires more power wont be as efficient as the oem due to underpowering.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not me only the best will do, know where is that string

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

how much is the power booster and can it be replaced for the stock one? I know nothing but if it's cheaper than the speaker sub I'd possibly try it and if my speakers blow than replace um

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
an amp will solve the loss of bass in the upper range. it will provide the power necessary for the speakers and give you the crossover adjustment.

for those of you wanting to know (bird already knows) the oem speakers were designed to run off minimal power, so putting a speaker that requires more power wont be as efficient as the oem due to underpowering.

Btw both the tweeter and the door woofer said "25w" on the back. Tweeter 5.2ohm door speaker 4ohm. Do you think those are peak RMS numbers? That would put the combo at 50w peak rms. The JLs want to see 25-75w RMS for the woofer/tweeter combo. Just thinking out loud here what do you make of it Noah?

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk 2

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im guessing peak power on those speakers.i highly doubt that oem speakers will be rms at 25 watts. with a 700 watt sony system, and how sony rates their equipment (peak power) a sony 1100 watt amp will only out 350 rms. i just finished a prius (again) and it had a 12watt stamped on the back......

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
It's all done guys and definitely sounds much better. The upgrade did pretty much exactly what I thought it would. The mid-bass is more clean and punchy. You can feel the bass on your leg from the driver door. As suspected, the door speakers aren't much louder than stock but the ability to go MAX VOLUME is there without distortion so I guess in that respect it can be louder?

The tweeters are where I notice a big difference. The highs are more pronounced and crisp. The presence of the highs is what makes the sound better and louder. All in all I am very pleased. I will do a full write up tomorrow but for those who wanted to know...