5th wheel towing with a Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Time2Fly

Reaction score
Prove us wrong, looks like you made up your mind. But that would be a very expensive mistake and very unsafe. Just post the results when you get that accomplished or not.
I have been in the car business for 16 years and anybody who has ever considered the fifth wheel bought a 2500 or 3500 series trucks, regular wheels or dually. That's the reality of things my friend.

There are guys who would put a plow on the 1500 series trucks which is a big no no. But they still do it on the trucks that can not handle it safely and long term without causing major front end problems.

Haven't made up my mind on anything. A close friend owns an RV dealership and keeps telling me about all these 1/2 ton trucks pulling 5th wheel RVs. I was very skeptical, and still am. But he keeps telling me that more and more 1/2 ton trucks can do it. And that more and more RV manufacturers are building light 5th wheel trailers for that purpose.

Most of the responses here have been based on opinion, not facts. I respect each of your opinions, but I am still looking for the facts. Logic implies that if other trucks have a higher weight rating when pulling from a 5th wheel hitch vs pulling from the rear frame, that all trucks would have a difference there, including the F-150.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Uhhh... people bumper tow all the time? I bumper pull a flatbed with my Jeep on it, I pull a trailer with snowmobiles, I pull my toy hauler, I flat tow my Jeep... shall I continue?

I'm of course referring to the actual tow package, not the bumper itself - though I didn't think I had to specify that to someone talking about a fifth wheel....

Well there are 3 ways that I know of to pull a trailer from a truck.

Bumper. Where the ball is actually mounted to the bumper. Which is an absolute horrible idea. Most often you can see bumpers hanging down, bent from hitch weight. Like you said earlier, no, just no..

Rear frame aka conventional. This is the most common way. Normally with a class III receiver and hitch.

5th wheel or Goose neck. Frame mounted over or through the bed.

So when you say bumper pull, I think you are one of the guys with his rear bumper hanging off his truck.. I guess we both shouldn't assume.

Very nice rig and set up in your pic BTW.

D

Deleted member 12951

Sorry I have done a ton of Google searchs with zero results. And after trying to search on here, no thread titles match anything near my question that I can find.

Do you have any links?

Don't use Google for this search. Go to Bing and use that instead. Search for towingwithyourraptor (yes all one word) and you will find a search hit that ends with .info. That will answer all your questions about towing with a raptor. GL!

OP
OP
T

Time2Fly

Reaction score
Don't use Google for this search. Go to Bing and use that instead. Search for towingwithyourraptor (yes all one word) and you will find a search hit that ends with .info. That will answer all your questions about towing with a raptor. GL!

You ever have those hairs on the back of your neck raise up, like someone just ain't right?

D

Deleted member 12951

You ever have those hairs on the back of your neck raise up, like someone just ain't right?

An long time FRF member here created that website to help out folks here on FRF with assistance to answer their questions on towing with a raptor. I am just trying to help.

OP
OP
T

Time2Fly

Reaction score
An long time FRF member here created that website to help out folks here on FRF with assistance to answer their questions on towing with a raptor. I am just trying to help.

Help with gay ****? The "over eighteen" click gave it away pretty quick.. I'm just not into gapping a$$ holes, maybe you are..

Thanks for the help..

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, here's the answer to your question. The SuperCrew is rated to tow 8,000 pounds. It doesn't have a separate fifth wheel rating. It's not meant to tow a fifth wheel. Sure, you could install one, but anything over 8,000 pounds is exceeding the tow capacity.

What could you physically make work? Who knows. Is it worth the risk? Not in my book, that's why I bought a toy hauler that the Raptor can handle without exceeding the tow rating. I'm not sure how else to answer you, but I just don't think that any fifth wheel is realistic. Yeah, maybe you could find one light enough, but why deal with all of the fifth wheel logistics when you're going to have a trailer as small as a conventionally towed one?

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Help with gay ****? The "over eighteen" click gave it away pretty quick.. I'm just not into gapping a$$ holes, maybe you are..

Thanks for the help..

We were just checking if you are awake. lol
Gotta love FRF. Ok getting back to the cars and trucks that can drive and tow themselves....I honestly think someone is really trying hard to sell you an RV.

The thing with the FRF forum you have to understand is the wealth of information. People who are on it are passionate about the truck and know it pretty well. Information sharing is second to none. Just leave it at that. And I am pretty damn sure if you end up with this madness of smorgasbord and you have a warranty claim Ford would deny it for all of the above reasons.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free