50k mi update: 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne has hit the major points

Like many, I’d neglected to preemptively lube the moonroof and paid the price in a broken track when I opened it after a long period.

However, I have had a large panel moon roof break on a previous vehicle. I don’t seek out moon roof vehicles, nor do I really seek out black vehicles, despite having owned I think 8 of them.

You can work around the known moonroof ‘limitation’ by regularly lubricating the glass panel seals with the expensive but effective Krytox grease and by popping the moon roof to the vent position FIRST, before moving the glass rearward. - so - open to vent. close from vent. IF the opening was loud, open to vent again, it should be quieter, close from vent. THEN move the glass panel rearward.

I’d be please as punch if Ford removed the moonroof option from the Raptor altogether, but that’s another discussion. Since we have it:

1) use it regularly, don’t just leave it closed for months or years on end and then decide to open it.
2) don’t assume that someone else won’t open it either. Like service personnel, friends / family who may need to use the truck.
3) lubricate the glass to rubber seal contact area, frequency depending on climate. About once per year is probably enough.

So, give them your Ford customer service card when it comes time to pay the bill. if it doesn’t throw any codes in the reader, there isn’t a problem, is there?

What? They don’t like that answer?

You’ve got a stealership service department that isn’t doing their job, which means a service manager that needs an attitude adjustment. That’s just the WRONG ANSWER.

If the service manager doesn’t seem to get it that this is the wrong answer and wrong way to treat a customer, you need to go somewhere that actually cares about customers.

This can even happen at good service departments. My old local didn’t have a moonroof qualified tech and had to outsource repairs. So, their default analysis was “busted moonroof tracks” / order parts while vehicle waits / schedule with moon roof shop / deliver, pick up, call customer back to come get the truck. As you can see there’s a lot of latency in that process and it took me 2 tries to get the repair done. When I got it back there were greasy fingerprints all of the truck around the moonroof and doors. So that only added to the sour experience.

Your customer experience is definitely being negatively impacted by the stealership. You should let them know that your expectations have not been met and that you expect better.
To be honest...the moon roof isn't even what I care about the most. It's things like being denied warranty on a broken seatbelt that they "repaired" 2 months ago during warranty. Then I have to argue with them to cover it. They didn't even put the interior panels back in place while I wait for parts. I just got a customer satisfaction survey a moment ago. About to light them up and call customer service.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
To be honest...the moon roof isn't even what I care about the most. It's things like being denied warranty on a broken seatbelt that they "repaired" 2 months ago during warranty. Then I have to argue with them to cover it. They didn't even put the interior panels back in place while I wait for parts. I just got a customer satisfaction survey a moment ago. About to light them up and call customer service.

Absolutely do that. My old stealership participated in google reviews. Bold move to do that and my feedback was pretty positive on all my engagements except the moonroof. When they got me moonroof repair feedback, I got a call from the service manager. I said exactly what I told you to say - ‘this repair did not meet my expectations. vehicle was not returned to me in as delivered condition, repair was completed but it was obviously not taken care of well.

I believe they offered me a free wash or something similar, which was nice customer service. My main concern was next time I had a repair, the truck would be taken care of well.

So I suggest you don’t ‘F-bomb’ them, but make sure the casual reader of an online review would get the point and be willing to believe your account.

Also, my old stealership was very up front and relatively proud of their 12/12 workmanship warranty. They covered their work with a 12 month or 12k mile warranty. I wonder how many F150 Lightning cylinder heads they had to repair ;-) 2000-2002(?) were famous for spitting spark plugs. Mine never did but I had them changed once before selling the truck- which I kind of still regret.

so even if your dealer isn’t so proud of their service, it sounds like again the service manager needs to provide some guidance on that aspect of their work.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely do that. My old stealership participated in google reviews. Bold move to do that and my feedback was pretty positive on all my engagements except the moonroof. When they got me moonroof repair feedback, I got a call from the service manager. I said exactly what I told you to say - ‘this repair did not meet my expectations. vehicle was not returned to me in as delivered condition, repair was completed but it was obviously not taken care of well.

I believe they offered me a free wash or something similar, which was nice customer service. My main concern was next time I had a repair, the truck would be taken care of well.

So I suggest you don’t ‘F-bomb’ them, but make sure the casual reader of an online review would get the point and be willing to believe your account.

Also, my old stealership was very up front and relatively proud of their 12/12 workmanship warranty. They covered their work with a 12 month or 12k mile warranty. I wonder how many F150 Lightning cylinder heads they had to repair ;-) 2000-2002(?) were famous for spitting spark plugs. Mine never did but I had them changed once before selling the truck- which I kind of still regret.

so even if your dealer isn’t so proud of their service, it sounds like again the service manager needs to provide some guidance on that aspect of their work.
I didn't flame them publicly and didn't go off, but I filled up an entire page in a word document on my service experiences since I've owned the truck and gave them realistic ratings on every question in the survey. I will still be calling Ford CS.

K-Doob

Reaction score
As our trucks reach higher mileage it’s important to remember these are performance cars and preventative maintenance is critical. At 50k I serviced the diffs, transmission, new coils & plugs, and swapped the shocks with a new set while the originals were getting rebuilt. Truck was out of commission a couple of days but rode like brand new. Not everyone can budget for this work but try to remember that these are Baja race trucks and require more TLC then a regular F150.