50k mi update: 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

My 2018 just crossed 50k miles and I thought to share an update—as I’ve been thoroughly impressed with every aspect of the vehicle during my ownership. I’m extremely diligent and critical when it comes to vehicles—and am in no form/fashion a Ford fanboy. I do believe in tipping my hat when something exceeds expectations.

This is an N=1 sample size, thus simply an observation based on one truck with low mileage.

NOTE1: I purchased the Raptor in 9/2020 via CarMax (manufactured in 10/17 and sold in 1/18) as a one owner truck with documented service by the Ford dealership every 5-9k miles. I have since put 20k miles on it—as a daily driver to work, loaner “mule” to our kids, mild off-roading, and road trip vehicle where significant snow is frequently encountered in the winter. My Raptor isn’t babied other than maintenance.

NOTE2: One of my professional colleagues voluntarily assessed/dug into my truck at various points—as that is what we nerds do. He is far more skilled mechanically than I—and the only complaints were that the driver side door creaks when opened (lube needed). He also noted that the tailgate hinges needed lube. Nothing noted with the engine/transmission/drivetrain systems nor wiring/electrical systems (no chafed/loose connections/alternator/starter/etc issues). The cam phasers are original—and hopefully remain so over time.

NOTE3: I’ve maintained a 5k mile service interval by Ford w/OEM full synthetic, tire rotations, and all recommended services. I did have the front/rear diffs and transfer case serviced at 31k miles—as I added a Ford Performance rear diff cover then. Otherwise, the only “mods” were an AEM dryflow air filter, RIGID triple lights, and OEDRO rear under seat storage.

NOTE4: I personally clean/lubricate the panoramic roof and rear sliding window 2x annually—and keep tire pressures at 36F/34R. I keep the exterior clean/waxed and leather surfaces treated. It lives in the covered garage at work, home, and on vacation—as much as possible.

NOTE5: CarMax installed the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires just before my purchase—and after 20k miles, minimal wear, nice ride comfort at 36F/34R (they usually warm up to 39F/37R) after driving for a bit, or slightly more if very hot out). They are amazing in snow as we spend a good deal of time in CO during ski season and they are as good as any AT tire I’ve ever used. The weight hasn’t hurt my MPGs as I’m running about 15.6mpg (based on the computer) since the last oil change. I drive bumper to bumper in metro traffic and tend to cruise at 75-80mph on the highway. My kids tend to drive it like they stole it—but that is another topic.

NOTE6: Negligible/imperceptible oil consumption, stock brake pads/rotors still good, and the blue Fox shocks aren’t leaking and performing well enough for me—can’t tell if damping has changed as I hit the speed bumps in the neighborhood. I did have to change the cabin air filter and wiper blades. The leather seats/steering wheel look great and the rear seat has a minuscule tear due to my son’s dog.

In conclusion, 50k miles is low mileage—especially for a daily driven 4 yr old truck. My family has owned two used 90s-00s Land Cruisers which were trouble free (211k and 193k respectively) which are my gold standards to which I compare everything—although both were also taken care of by the previous owners. Hopefully they are still out there somewhere racking up the miles (in a South/Southwestern climate so that they don’t rust to pieces).

I hope the next 50k are every bit as uneventful for my Raptor as I plan to try to keep it for 200k plus.

Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• C742367F-28B5-4D4E-87CD-D0EBF18F7420.jpeg
    C742367F-28B5-4D4E-87CD-D0EBF18F7420.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 125
  • DE7AF3FD-C5F2-4948-9AD0-402832A1D6DE.jpeg
    DE7AF3FD-C5F2-4948-9AD0-402832A1D6DE.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 87B9F9AC-77F2-4BD6-ADB0-61D539B70FF2.jpeg
    87B9F9AC-77F2-4BD6-ADB0-61D539B70FF2.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 91
  • 9DF6A7DE-F24E-4FA7-B981-2CE4FAC2CE17.jpeg
    9DF6A7DE-F24E-4FA7-B981-2CE4FAC2CE17.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 06464CE6-42AF-49C7-A5D1-30067E9C56B3.jpeg
    06464CE6-42AF-49C7-A5D1-30067E9C56B3.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up. Sounds like you keep a well maintained vehicle, I use a moving blanket in the back seat and a folded towel over the console lid when my dog gets in the back, for some reason she never wants to be in the front seats. Just an idea for something temporary for the back seat. Congrats on a beautiful relationship with your Raptor.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. Sounds like you keep a well maintained vehicle, I use a moving blanket in the back seat and a folded towel over the console lid when my dog gets in the back, for some reason she never wants to be in the front seats. Just an idea for something temporary for the back seat. Congrats on a beautiful relationship with your Raptor.
Thank you @CoronaRaptor. I’ll have my son get some covers (or trim the labs nails) before next time he takes it on a trip. It was a fluke thing and the tear is hardly noticeable. I like giving my boy a hard time.

Like many—my wife and I have been fortunate to own a ton of vehicles during our 25+. The only brand new vehicles (car/truck) we’ve purchased were an LX450, an S550 (ouch), and my wife’s current LX570. Ouch is in reference to the depreciation hit on the MB—but the car was solid.

I do not believe in luck, but due to manufacturing variances/engineering flaws/etc.—I have experienced good fortune with every car/truck owned.

My process has worked for me and it involves patience—and a certain personality:

1. One owner vehicles only. Regardless of miles, in my experience—the original owner tends to care and stick to dealership/OEM.
2. 100% OEM service records since new. For older cars, I like people dealership records in a binder (or refer me to the dealership so I can get the history).
3. High miles don’t scare me on a stock vehicle that meet #1 & #2 above. No mods to any drivetrain related component. Heck, the reason that some vehicles have bulletproof reputations—is simply because their owners don’t modify them, maintain them, and drive heck out of them.

As some know, due to my profession, I am 100% biased in favor of OEM/dealership maintenance. To me it is worth doing by fostering a business relationship with a good dealership. Heck, I own an ‘88 Porsche Carrera which I purchased used years ago (one owner, Porsche dealer maintenance), drive it 3x week, and it runs like a clock due to dealership maintenance only.

As always, I appreciate what I learn from the pros here and only hope to help those interested in a perspective.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a nice write up, thanks. I’m looking at those tires to replace my KO2’s soon and that just affirmed my decision
@LeadFootLarry

I believe you will be pleased. I run at 36F/34R and they aren’t harsh and are the quietest AT tires I’ve owned. Yes, they are heavy—but I want durability. MPGs are not an issue as the Raptor is a rolling barn door.

If I want fast, better MPG, and better handling—I hop in a car.

Given the lack of wear after 20K miles (no cupping/feathering and quiet at all speeds)—I expect to get 65k miles easily from them—with no babying, but good maintenance.

My belief is Sumitomo’s engineers nailed the silica mix and of course—the stepped blocks/tread depth in category for size helps.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AV Grey
98,000 miles

Only FORD recalls - no cam issues.

Drive it like I'm running across Mexican lines into the USA after I done swindled the cartelsssss

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've serviced my 2018 every 5k miles and about to hit 70k total miles. I have had the following:

Transmission re-flash at 13k miles for harsh shifting.
Cam phaser replaced at 20k miles
Moonroof rattles fixed
Frozen door locks around 40k miles
Drivers side seat heater element replaced around 40k miles
Cam phaser replaced at 50k miles
Moonroof rattles fixed
Seatbelt locked up
21B10 applied for cam phasers
21N08 applied after cam phaser programming caused engine shudder
Seatbelt locked up again (Getting fixed this week)
Leather cracking on red stripe on steering wheel (Getting fixed this week)
Moonroof rattles...again (Getting fixed this week)

I still love the truck and have the premium ESP out to 125k miles, but man...this **** gets old. My previous two Toyotas were only in the shop once for repairs over an 8 year period, broken shaft on an aftermarket shock. I think it goes without saying that I will never own a Ford without also having a warranty in place. If Toyotas could match the performance of the Raptor and update their interiors/styling, I switch back in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

LeadFootLarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@LeadFootLarry

I believe you will be pleased. I run at 36F/34R and they aren’t harsh and are the quietest AT tires I’ve owned. Yes, they are heavy—but I want durability. MPGs are not an issue as the Raptor is a rolling barn door.

If I want fast, better MPG, and better handling—I hop in a car.

Given the lack of wear after 20K miles (no cupping/feathering and quiet at all speeds)—I expect to get 65k miles easily from them—with no babying, but good maintenance.

My belief is Sumitomo’s engineers nailed the silica mix and of course—the stepped blocks/tread depth in category for size helps.
Thanks! I extensively read your other thread about the Falken’s and your subsequent updates on them. I think in the next 10k they’ll go on with new (lighter) wheels, and some 1.5” collars to level