50k Budget...Mint Gen 1 or Well Used Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tritan

Reaction score
New member here, thanks in advance for any recommendations you guys have.

I'm in the market for a Raptor and want to spend around 50k or less before taxes (could be persuaded up to 52k for a great Gen 2). Should I be looking at a nearly perfect Gen 1 for much less than my max budget or are you still enjoying your Gen 2 trucks in the 80-100,000 mile range?

The things that are important to me are safety (I will have two kids in car seats), reliability, performance and some creature comforts, in that order.

For reference, I'm coming from a 2018 F250 6.2 gas with a Carli Commuter lift on 37s and Methods. I feel comfortable doing modifications myself and would probably enjoy having extra money to do so on a Gen 1. On the other hand, Gen 2 trucks look great stock but the frequent posts about their overall reliability have me on the fence.

I realize I'll probably catch some flack for this topic being brought up repeatedly but because market conditions are always changing I thought I'd ask your current opinions.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
This is a good deal if not already sold.

OP
OP
T

Tritan

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah that one, especially with the warranty is excellent...honestly if it were closer to me I'd be looking at it. I'm in the Houston area though and it would be hard to road trip right now with my toddler and my wife's schedule.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah that one, especially with the warranty is excellent...honestly if it were closer to me I'd be looking at it. I'm in the Houston area though and it would be hard to road trip right now with my toddler and my wife's schedule.
It’s worth traveling for the right truck if it’s at all possible. I drove 10 hours each way, and that was for new.

50k is a significant amount of money for any used vehicle; vehicle history, maintenance records, and recall completions are key to making a good investment. There are plenty of examples of these trucks that were rode hard, put away wet, and traded for the next toy.

OP
OP
T

Tritan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm thinking you're probably right. Will have to budget some time I guess. I've inquired about 3 used gen 2 trucks in my area so far. 1 had cam phaser rattle, and the other two were not available for sale at the dealer even though they were advertised as such. One had an alleged oil pan and/or valve cover leak and they told me the gasket was backordered with no ETA, the other was sent to a local Ford dealer for "inspection" also with no ETA. Needless to say I'm a little annoyed and concerned that most of these used trucks at dealers seem to have issues.

txmxer

Reaction score
I was in your shoes (bought my truck a few weeks ago), I was considering both gen 1 and gen 2 depending on how clean they are and mileage, and I was being very picky. Buying from a dealer right now is an automatic $6-10,000 mark up so if you want to make your money work for you buy private party and just have a dealer do an inspection before. I missed a really clean gen 1 with 60,000 miles for $39,000. Theyre out there but even then I had trouble spending so much when a gen 2 has so much more technology and a more efficient motor etc. I will say you can find a gen 2 with 60,000 miles for under $55,000 you just have to look hard.

I personally ended up with a 2nd gen, I wanted the newer motor, better mpg, and creature comforts. Im sure both are great trucks.

Im also coming from 3/4 ton and man I forgot how easy it is to drive a half ton

scottybs

Reaction score
Can you wait it out? If this economy snowballs a bit… used especially will get a bit cheaper. I’ve seen some with Gen 2’s with mid 30k or less going for under $60k. Good luck.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I’ve had a Raptor since 2010. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either one again.
The most important thing to either one is Vehicle maintenance history like FTO stated.
I sold my 2010 Gen 1 with 200k miles on it for $20k. The buyer was comfortable with it because I had the Maintenance records from day 1.
The dealership was offering me $14k on trade in…lol.
Don’t sweat cosmetic stuff like scratches or a ding in the bumper etc. Buy a polisher.
Happy Hunting.. patience, you will find the right one :)
It will be worth the wait finding the right one creating memories for those babies.

OP
OP
T

Tritan

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

To answer some questions, yes I can wait it out for a month or so but I'm actually moving to the Indianapolis area in July because of my wife's job so was hoping to get in a truck and figure out any issues before driving it up there blindly. Also, I agree that cosmetic imperfections really aren't a big deal it's the drivetrain and electronics that really count.

The other option, I suppose, would be to sell my current truck down here and find a raptor up there but I sure feel better about buying a Texas truck than something from the Midwest with the salty winter roads. I've looked a little in that market and they do seem to be a couple thousand cheaper than down here for comparable trucks.

I'm fortunate that I'm in a position to buy from an individual and that's what I would prefer anyway from a cost/records perspective.