5 Star Tuner FAQ – My results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbnMP13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not a easy as just switching out the tune.. My suggestion is to revert back to stock then complete at least 3 drive cycles.

Drive cycle:
The recommended OBD II drive cycle begins with a cold start (with coolant temperature below 122 degrees F and the coolant and air temperature sensors within 11 degrees of one another).

NOTE: The ignition key must not be on prior to the cold start otherwise the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

- As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in D for two and a half minutes with the A/C and front and rear window defrost on.

OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.

- Turn the A/C and front/rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle.

OBDII checks for ignition misfire, fuel trim and canister purge.

- Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes.

OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.

- Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking.

OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.

- Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle.

OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.

- Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.

OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.

- Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking.

OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.

- Test complete

-Greg

IMO it would be easier to just pay the dealer for the service. WOW!

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I do recognize that the factory tune is going to be the most mpg friendly, my concern is how are these claims of mpg post tuning so much higher than what I'm able to get on the same tune when I'm actively trying to drive like a granny?

Based on our customer feedback, the further south people are the less winter additives that are typically in the fuel. Those in the lower states typically get quite a bit higher MPG as well as those that are at higher elevation. In my own vehicles, I notice a loss of 1-2 mpg the farther north I go during winter.

Locutus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting the same results in my findings. I just completed a 2500 mile trip and tried all the tunes. I find that the 91 Perf tune is a great medium and that way I do not have to worry what gas octane I get while traveling. 91 Octane seems very common across the country.

Unlike other threads I have not experienced the "bang" shifting. I have had all kinds of cars and trucks at different performance levels and find the performance tune from 5Star not as harsh shifting as others I have experienced.

Great Write Up!

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received my SCT X4 from 5 star today. My question is how I determine what custom tune is currently loaded in my 2013 SCREW?

For instance, I first loaded 87 daily street and then drove it a bit and noticed a difference. Then I wanted to try out the 87 Performance tune and noticed a difference upon test driving it.

But when I went to program the 87 performance over the initial 87 daily street tune, the device just showed me the different custom tune options to choose from. I did not see any indication of what tune was currently on the truck.

Next question, how do I know if a tune is successfully programmed into the truck? For example I'll follow the prompts after turning ignition to ON, and APPROVE and not modify any of the other special options. I never see an actual percentage meter on the screen while it is being programmed. It just goes back to the main menu after I EXIT. The programming takes less than a minute all the way through. I was told before it could take between 5-10 minutes to program a tune into the truck.

Would someone more experienced with these tunes be able to shed light on my inquiries? Thanks.

David

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine showed tune installed but I never seemed to feel a difference. My battery died and I replaced it and tried programmer again. This time truck shut down like I had just blown a fuse, after a few minutes electronics came back on and tuner said 93 performance successfully installed, WOW, engine came alive!! Haven't changed it since. Make sure to have a full charge on battery or connect to battery charger. Good luck @RaptorEnthusiast

Last edited:

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine showed tune installed but I never seemed to feel a difference. My battery died and I replaced it and tried programmer again. This time truck shut down like I had just blown a fuse, after a few minutes electronics came back on and tuner said 93 performance successfully installed, WOW, engine came alive!! Haven't changed it since. Make sure to have a full charge on battery or connect to battery charger. Good luck @RaptorEnthusiast

Are you referring to the battery charger of the device? I thought that was just powered by the obd2 cable. The device turns on when plugged into that port.....wouldn't that mean there's enough charge?

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

my truck electronics never shut down at all. It's supposed to?