5 Star 87 economy tune worse than stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattSVTM3

Reaction score
i kinda regret get the 5 star tune, after installing the tune my 3rd-4th gear shift was so rough, it would lock the seat belt they did send a new tune but it wasnt much better

Same here. I've been running the 5 star tune for a few months, and it just got really annoying. Went back to my stock tune this week. Personally their customer service has been decent, and they did a revision for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell much of a difference after the revision.

Spoke with Jim at JDM this week and ordered their tune. Should be ready next week. Really looking forward to trying it out since I've heard only good things!

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here. I've been running the 5 star tune for a few months, and it just got really annoying. Went back to my stock tune this week. Personally their customer service has been decent, and they did a revision for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell much of a difference after the revision.

Spoke with Jim at JDM this week and ordered their tune. Should be ready next week. Really looking forward to trying it out since I've heard only good things!

Curious how you like it! I went from 5 star to JDM as well and like the JDM better.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loaded a 5 Star 87 economy tune after running their 93 performance tune for the last several months. I did this right before a 1k mike trip to Florida and I barely got 15mpgs. I got 16.5 last summer completely stock tune. What am I missing here? Tire pressures are 45psi and stock otherwise besides Corsa exhaust. Did the engine been more time to adapt? That’s the only thing I can think of.
I will give 5 Star credit for trying to provide me with tunes that work, but after endless emails back and forth and numerous attempts, I just gave up and decided to stick with my MPT tunes that have performed very well. Both companies are very eager to please, but I wasted a bunch of money and time with 5 Star and never got anything that approached stock performance.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is all about the speed / rpm you are turning on the highway. Especially with a tune. These tunes kind of hit an on / off switch in regards to fuel at a certain throttle position.

I have found....keep your foot out of it.....especially on the highway.....you can get close to 20mpg. But that is only IF you set the cruise at 61mph. The sweet spot is about 67mph...you can still get 18 mpg at that speed.

When the truck hits around 68 mph, the boost starts to come one, and the program starts adding fuel like crazy to make enough power to keep the big girl plowing through the wind.

Ofcourse...nobody wants to drive 67 mph on a 1,000 mile road trip. @92mph going accros kansas, i averaged 14 with my tune and I was happy

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went from 5star tunes to a JLT intake and tune. Night and day difference. Truck drives so much better.

MattSVTM3

Reaction score
Loaded a 5 Star 87 economy tune after running their 93 performance tune for the last several months. I did this right before a 1k mike trip to Florida and I barely got 15mpgs. I got 16.5 last summer completely stock tune. What am I missing here? Tire pressures are 45psi and stock otherwise besides Corsa exhaust. Did the engine been more time to adapt? That’s the only thing I can think of.

From my understanding, it only takes a few hundred miles for the truck to fully adapt. Since you drove 1k miles, I would expect it to have adapted to the new tune. You could continue to run the economy tune for a while and see if MPG's improve. I have never ran the economy tune from 5 star, just the performance and daily street. My MPG's went down with both options compared to my stock tune. Hoping I will gain some back with my new JDM tune.

Curious how you like it! I went from 5 star to JDM as well and like the JDM better.

Loaded the JDM tune this morning and went for a quick drive. Initial impressions are that drivability and shifting is significantly smoother than my 5 star was. Much more enjoyable experience so far. You can tell JDM focused heavily on the shifting. I also did a few pulls at WOT, and it pulls hard. It may just be my butt dyno, but it does feel like it revs up quicker in the higher range as well. These are just quick impressions after driving a couple miles. I'm sure the truck will adapt as I continue to put miles on it, but so far I'm very happy with the new tune.

Last edited: