5.4 vs 6.2 Liter Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really think the suspension on both motors gives the truck a slow feel.
That, right there, is one hell of a point.

I really pushed my 5.4 in a recent desert trip. I worked the gears myself and I often found myself running out of RPMs in first, bouncing off the limiter. I just have the RPM range I would have liked/expected to play with, at high RPM in first gear.

I'm sure 90% of that is me and my inexperience with the truck (first time I really worked the gears myself when high speed desert running), but past experience in road race applications tells me more power would have had me never hitting that same RPM wall, given my driving/gear shifting style. Maybe that's where the 6.2 really shines...

Its all good stuff! I'm convinced both motors are quality choices in this truck.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I would love to drive one offroad at speed through some washes and see how the low-end power is...the 5.4 could use a little more under 2800RPM esp in sand. But other than that I haven't had an issue with lack of power in my truck.

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I've driven it through some washes now and never had any bogging or anything. I think what's really making the difference is the torque, you can really feel just how easy it is for the truck to just pull through everything and keep the rpm's high. Even when the rpm's were low, it still just pulled on through too. The tq curve on it is awesome.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven it through some washes now and never had any bogging or anything. I think what's really making the difference is the torque, you can really feel just how easy it is for the truck to just pull through everything and keep the rpm's high. Even when the rpm's were low, it still just pulled on through too. The tq curve on it is awesome.

I've driven the 6.2 now 3-4 times. It's really nice! couple more things i noticed:

- Milage was never lower than 12 mpg on all the trucks. I get 13.6 on the 5.4.
- The transmission is behaved for the most part, a few quirks. (much better than the 5.4's tranny shifting)
- The 6.2 really shines in sand and mud, you don't have to press on the peddle as much to shove through things
- I like the 6.2 better for up hill driving mostly because of shifting but the extra power helps.
- The nose feels a bit heavier in my opinion but my truck isn't exactly stock

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lvdezertdawg was kind enough to let me drive his 6.2 a couple of times off road... I was thinking of writing a review so here goes:

As some might know, my biggest question about the Raptor 6.2 was whether Ford sacrificed some of the low end power to get the impressive high rpm peak HP numbers.

The answer is NO. The 6.2 feels very much like my 5.4... plenty of torque at lower rpm. And the power builds very smoothly with no surges or sudden rushes of power as the rpm climbs. Very nice!

I've only driven the 6.2 off road where traction was the limiting factor on both the 5.4 and 6.2 so I can't comment on peak power differences. I would say that the 6.2 power felt S-M-O-O-T-H compared to my 5.4. Like it was a bit more responsive to throttle input. Night and day difference? No. An improvement? Yes.

One of the places I did get a chance to drive the 6.2 was in a fairly soft high speed sand wash... I did not feel any bogging at all but then I don't usually bog my 5.4 either... (could be my driving style... I tend to use fairly light throttle under those conditions using momentum to slide through the corners... not the throttle)

All in all, I think Ford did an excellent job on the 6.2!

(but I also agree that under most driving conditions most people probably wouldn't know the difference between the 5.4 and 6.2)

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lbut I also agree that under most driving conditions most people probably wouldn't know the difference between the 5.4 and 6.2

Especially since they don't have the other motor to compare it to.

More power is more power :) and knowing you're driving the 6.2 is likely to make you "feel better" about what's under the hood.

I assume most Raptor buyers have little to no offroad experience and they won't be able to appreciate that additional power offroad until they get a lot more experience (and grow a larger set).

Good writeup Mark, thanks!

TeamFordRaptor

Reaction score
Hey Riku, I'm a salesman at Team Ford in Las Vegas. My owner Steve Oliges was one of the men who helped design the Raptor and put it through its paces during testing. He races the Baja and has for years now. The picture shown in my profile is me in a 6.2 Raptor at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on 6-19-10. I've driven the 5.4 with the suspension adjusted in every way, tire pressure at different P.S.I, and in every mode and configuration possible. The jump pictured was taken max height at 50 mph. The max I could do in the 5.4L was 42mph with the corner factored in before the jump. I had both trucks with 28 P.S.I with Advance Trac Off (Press & Hold), Off Road Mode Enabled, and the ELD engaged. At the end of the day I had taken 12 customers out (I was mainly driving the truck for my own benefit), and close to 30 laps out the truck.

The conclusion at the end of the day was the 6.2 has less lag in throttle response than the 5.4 especially mid corner. More so the throttle blip needed at the top of jumps to ensure landing on all 4 wheels instead of nose diving was significant over the 5.4 by far. I hate driving with the transmission in D for handling and response reasons, but the 6.2 has better response in Drive than the 5.4. I utilized 1st and 2nd gear select all day never using 3rd. Factory configured suspension proved the best with 28 P.S.I having the most traction with plenty of give mid throttle to throw the back end out as well. While 28 P.S.I sucks with gas mileage (Around 40 P.S.I is standard from the factory) on the road and isn't ideal for high speeds on pavement, it proved to be the best ride, handling, and absorb the bumps and jumps the best on both trucks, the 6.2 was just superior by far when taken to the max.

YouTube videos are all over of the Raptor Round Up and very easy to tell which one I was in. SVT and Ford were there and since owners and other dealerships taking it easy and scared something would break, I took the truck beyond what SVT had told me to and the truck drove away with a scratched skid plate. I drove it there with 28 miles on it and when I got back to the dealership, it had close to 200 on it. I would have bought it myself if one of the customers who rode with me hadn't followed me back to the dealership and traded in his 5.4L for the exact one I drove. He was tickled to death, congrats Mike. Check out "Ford Raptor Flying" and other "Raptor Round Up" videos on YouTube. Have Fun and if its clean, it's cause something broke! -Aaron Team Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Las Vegas, NV

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaron, nice post. Bottom line the first Raptor I seen and drove was Steve's at team, back last year. It was the 5.4. It was amazing. HOWEVER, Steve even told me to hold out for the 6.2 before I made my purchase. I did, and when the first few hit the dealership I drove the 6.2... sorry to say, the 6.2 drove, felt, and was MUCH nicer to me. Yes this is my opinion, and no knock to the 5.4, and if that was the only motor I would have bought it, but I love the 6.2. I am not sure about some of the comments about the trans, but my 6.2 shifts very smooth.. overall the perfect combination. Again, this is just my opinion.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Riku, I'm a salesman at Team Ford in Las Vegas. My owner Steve Oliges was one of the men who helped design the Raptor and put it through its paces during testing. He races the Baja and has for years now. The picture shown in my profile is me in a 6.2 Raptor at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on 6-19-10. I've driven the 5.4 with the suspension adjusted in every way, tire pressure at different P.S.I, and in every mode and configuration possible. The jump pictured was taken max height at 50 mph. The max I could do in the 5.4L was 42mph with the corner factored in before the jump. I had both trucks with 28 P.S.I with Advance Trac Off (Press & Hold), Off Road Mode Enabled, and the ELD engaged. At the end of the day I had taken 12 customers out (I was mainly driving the truck for my own benefit), and close to 30 laps out the truck.

The conclusion at the end of the day was the 6.2 has less lag in throttle response than the 5.4 especially mid corner. More so the throttle blip needed at the top of jumps to ensure landing on all 4 wheels instead of nose diving was significant over the 5.4 by far. I hate driving with the transmission in D for handling and response reasons, but the 6.2 has better response in Drive than the 5.4. I utilized 1st and 2nd gear select all day never using 3rd. Factory configured suspension proved the best with 28 P.S.I having the most traction with plenty of give mid throttle to throw the back end out as well. While 28 P.S.I sucks with gas mileage (Around 40 P.S.I is standard from the factory) on the road and isn't ideal for high speeds on pavement, it proved to be the best ride, handling, and absorb the bumps and jumps the best on both trucks, the 6.2 was just superior by far when taken to the max.

YouTube videos are all over of the Raptor Round Up and very easy to tell which one I was in. SVT and Ford were there and since owners and other dealerships taking it easy and scared something would break, I took the truck beyond what SVT had told me to and the truck drove away with a scratched skid plate. I drove it there with 28 miles on it and when I got back to the dealership, it had close to 200 on it. I would have bought it myself if one of the customers who rode with me hadn't followed me back to the dealership and traded in his 5.4L for the exact one I drove. He was tickled to death, congrats Mike. Check out "Ford Raptor Flying" and other "Raptor Round Up" videos on YouTube. Have Fun and if its clean, it's cause something broke! -Aaron Team Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Las Vegas, NV

Hi and Thanks! Got my Raptor at Team Ford Also! Thanks for the great price and good service. For anyone needing a 6.2 this morning I saw a white and blue sitting on their lot.

Thanks for the feedback but I'm just not that into it. Maybe you and stevo are but to me the 5.4 and 6.2 on the road in city felt very similar. To me and it may be the hype I was expecting a much different experience between the two.

I can afford the trade in no problems but it's just a bad financial decision unless 1 sec 0-60 on the road means a lot to the buyer or a more responsive engine is worth the hit.

It wasn't like 911 vs 911 turbo, it was minimal like 911 vs 911S. IMO 100HP should be a game changer. I'm talking about in Drive not offroad mode or anything else.

I totally agree that there is more lag in response for the 5.4 for sure that bugs me, so does the tranny. That said would I trade my 5.4 for a 6.2? not really the difference in experience is minimal. Both are raptors.

This is just me but if I didn't own a raptor and could start all over again today my 1st choice would be a used 5.4 at a deal vs a new 6.2.

In my experience forum guys always shoot for the best, and split hairs for the sake of argument but If you gave the average potential raptor buyer a blind taste test I don't think they will see much of a difference.

In my past auto's 50hp made a big difference (cars) I can only assume the weight of the Raptor makes the extra 100HP less noticeable. Sorry I'm no truck expert.

Anyway you and stevo are the experts I'm just a customer and thats my 2 cents.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Said it before and will say it again. I bought a Sport Trac and it had the V6 rather than the V8, due the options I wanted and what was available. Yes they both get the job done, but owners of each will defend them to the death. For me the V6 was just as I imagine the 5.4 to be in the Raptor, ok but not the same as the larger motor with more HP. Gas is NOT an issue as both do about the same, and the up charge has to make it all worth it. I doubt you will find many 5.4 guys dissing their trucks, but many are indeed trading up to a 6.2. Again, no disrespect to anyone, both are great, but lets all be honest the 6.2 is NOT the same as the 5.4 in any way. Again, driven them both, and waited for the 6.2 and no regrets! Bottom line they are indeed Raptors, but not the same!