5.2L Supercharged V8 Confirmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed at the Detroit Auto Show the 2020 Shelby GT500 will come with a supercharged 5.2L V8 and 700 HP. For that Ram Rebel fan among us, the future vehicles landing page on ford.com has been updated to include the Shelby GT500, boasting a 12 inch LCD instrument cluster.

Engine sounds amazing, one could only imagine.

https://www.ford.com/future-vehicles/

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a boring video, lets see 700+HP in action. They will lose a ton of respect for ditching the manual

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If their new product is not faster than a standard Hellcat or ZL1, they are just wasting their time.

A manual only GT500 would never keep up with the automatics from GM and Dodge at the dragstrip.

You want to shift and go round a track- get the GT350. The GT500 will heatsoak on a roadtrack driven at 10/10ths, like every S/C car ever built.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dual clutch is the way to go. Too bad they had to ditch the flat plane crank. The sound alone of the GT350 is worth the price of admission.

Sam

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
It's not the "automatic" as you know it. It is a dual clutch manual that can do gear changes in 100 milliseconds both up shift and down shift. Automatic rev matching on the down shift. Similar setup in Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, BMW, etc. I am very happy with their transmission choice. Truly the best of both worlds. The negative to this trans is the cost. It will surely push the GT500 into the $80k range.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's not the "automatic" as you know it. It is a dual clutch manual that can do gear changes in 100 milliseconds both up shift and down shift. Automatic rev matching on the down shift. Similar setup in Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, BMW, etc. I am very happy with their transmission choice. Truly the best of both worlds. The negative to this trans is the cost. It will surely push the GT500 into the $80k range.

I noticed a lot of newer German cars are getting away from the dual clutch transmissions. It seems like the ZF 8-speed is replacing the DCT's. I wonder if it's just a cost thing?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of newer German cars are getting away from the dual clutch transmissions. It seems like the ZF 8-speed is replacing the DCT's. I wonder if it's just a cost thing?
I wouldn't be surprised if it is cost related. Very expensive transmission to produce and very expensive to service. Typically they are not known for handling large torque loads. Hopefully Ford has that figured out.