5.2L Predator v8 Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It's on the internet so it's 100% factual.

The 6.8 is being made at the Windsor, ON plant; It was announced awhile ago at by a union representative I believe. This all may fall apart due to emission standards now.
I do recall reading this a little while back. In regards to the "twin turbo" version, not sure how legitimate those "sources" are that they claim to have. If you need to tow enough with a Super Duty that you need that kind of power and torque, the Powerstroke is the only option. I'm suspecting the 6.8 will be the lower displacement version of the "Godzilla" for commercial/fleets who want the increased low end torque, higher horsepower, and better fuel economy of the "Godzilla" engine over the standard 6.2.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The engine will be a V8. The slang term for transmission you used is offensive to me, I will need another beer to cope.

It will be either a modified version of the DCT or 10 speed. I'm sure it will be 2H and have 4L, 4H and 4A
I can confirm that the GVWR of the Raptor far exceeds the Tremec 9070's maximum rating. So should be the 10R.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can confirm that the GVWR of the Raptor far exceeds the Tremec 9070's maximum rating. So should be the 10R.

The 10R80 is something around 599lbs max torque (I think). Do you think they will revise the clutches and/or upgrade the torque converter? Im still curious if it will exceed 12 quarts of oil due to additional cooling needs

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do recall reading this a little while back. In regards to the "twin turbo" version, not sure how legitimate those "sources" are that they claim to have. If you need to tow enough with a Super Duty that you need that kind of power and torque, the Powerstroke is the only option. I'm suspecting the 6.8 will be the lower displacement version of the "Godzilla" for commercial/fleets who want the increased low end torque, higher horsepower, and better fuel economy of the "Godzilla" engine over the standard 6.2.

I know you think of the 7.3 as a work engine which it is but it does have a lot of potential in other platforms after being modified. For older Ford's I think it has potential to be the one of the best swap candidates due to size. 2.5" inches wider and 1.5" longer than a 351W. 7.3 weighs 538lbs vs 351W at 471lbs and going from a E40D to 10R80 makes a 7.3 swap 27lbs heavier. Its one of 3 engines I am considering for my 1990 F-150. Really want to go with a 3.5 Ecoboost instead of a Coyote.....Come down to NC and help please:burnout:

I don't think it will ever get to the "LS" standard that's been set mainly because of the cost and availability of control packs. The 6.2's I've had have worked great for company trucks, one of the only minor things I don't like is needing 16 spark plugs.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 10R80 is something around 599lbs max torque (I think). Do you think they will revise the clutches and/or upgrade the torque converter? Im still curious if it will exceed 12 quarts of oil due to additional cooling needs
Good question. I would think they would need to make some internal changes to accommodate the additional torque; the 5.2 exceeds the 10R80’s current maximum. Maybe they’ll do something similar to what GM did with the 10L90 in the Camaro ZL1; that transmission is rated for 650 lb-ft.

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. I would think they would need to make some internal changes to accommodate the additional torque; the 5.2 exceeds the 10R80’s current maximum. Maybe they’ll do something similar to what GM did with the 10L90 in the Camaro ZL1; that transmission is rated for 650 lb-ft.
For sure a modified 10R80 will be it. You already know this lol.

Steelhead

Reaction score
oh man ,,,, About time they did this,,, but sadly I bet it will priced out of range of many people,,,,

spizike9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are working on a twin turbo Godzilla or a variant of a 7.3L, possibly a 6.8L. To answer your question they already have the Predator engine available, adding Nagasaki Noisy Boyz to a higher displacement V8 and achieving long term reliability would take considerable testing but it would decrease fuel consumption. Ford wants to go out with a bang on V8 supercharged engines to compete with the outgoing TRX or variant.

Here's what I think: I would dare say the fuel economy would be around 8-10mpg in town and maybe 14 mpg on the highway for the Predator in a Raptor body. The only time you may see 400 miles to E with a 36 gallon tank is leaving the dealership.

The advantage the Raptor R will have over the TRX or future Ram TRX Redeye is both weight and the ability to have RWD to 4WD or 4A vs the TRX is essentially AWD and that's a lot of mass to moving. I would also speculate the Raptor R would be easier to work on as it probably won't be as deep in the engine bay as the Hellcat motor.

The Predator in the GT500 takes 11.6 gallons of oil, I think a truck variant would have over 12 quarts or more especially if any of the coolers are increased in size. I would prefer a console shifter to a dial.
TRX has a console shifter

phill0027

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed dealerships out there all don't bump MSRP of Raptor R by $10,000+