GEN 2 5.2 Supercharged GT 500 - just released 760 hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
The 2014 GT500 had a MSRP starting at $55K. It had 662 HP. No way this is a $85K+ car, let alone $100K.

Gt350's start at $60K for the non-R models. Adding a blower and a fancy pants transmission upgrade ain't all THAT expensive.

I'll guess it'll start in the mid $70K range, optioning up to $80K. R models will be in the high $80K range.
Didn't the Raptor take about a 20% increase from the 2014 to the 2017? 2014 GT500 at $66k +20% increase puts it at $79k.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thin it will be the 5.2 without the supercharger that makes it to the Raptor. They will not want the Shelby Raptor to lose its luster and also Ford will want to let the GT500 be the most powerful Ford for a little while.

It makes sense.. keeps the Raptor price point.. offer an upgraded engine as an option (5.2).. and let people upgrade to the Hennessey, Whipple, Roush superchargers. Low risk for Ford, and customers will be happy because with the upgrades it will definitely be more then 707HP.

Ahhhh pretty sure a super duty 6.7 is and will remain the most powerful Ford motor until that 7.2 or whatever comes out....TQ > HP

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
700+ HP is unusable on dirt, so to be useful, any 700hp truck really needs to be set up for street use.

If I was building a street focused Raptor:

The first thing I'd do is ditch the heavy ass KO2s that cannot grip pavement for shit. Put some lightweight, wide, grippy street tires on there that have a 150mph speed rating. And not only that, 33s would be far quicker than the 35s.

The second thing a fast truck needs is real brakes. To do that, the truck needs much larger rims to fit larger disks. We're probably looking at 20" minimum.

The third thing is eliminating the squishy suspension.

And if we really want to improve the street handling, a lower CG will do a world of good.

And then I'd finish by removing the Raptor badge and slapping Lightning in its place.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For sure it would be awesome in the Raptor, and really I see no reason they won't offer it during the last 1-2 years of the Raptors current life cycle. Similar to how Vette's have a ZR-1 at the end of it's life cycle. It will be an 85K truck though, IMO.

My DW has a SC V8 in her Range Rover, and with "only" 516HP and 461TQ it feel so much more powerful than my Raptor, although the weight is about the same.

85K? lol. I doubt you'll touch this for anything less than 100k if it comes to the Raptor

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure that Ford has both engineers and beancounters on the "V8 for the Raptor" case but the biggest determinant for the V8 Raptor will, without a doubt, be that Ram 1500 Rebel TRX. If that thing starts eating into Raptor sales significantly, I think we will see a return of the V8. That said, I don't think that TRX is due until 2021 so we are probably looking at the 3rd generation Raptor at that point I would assume. I really do not think that Ford will put a V8 into this Raptor.
Ram is already gaining massive amounts of market share, mostly at the expense of the Silverado, so they have tasted blood and would probably love to own the lucrative full-size off roady segment as well. Their Power Wagon is simply positioned differently and, as executed, represents no threat to the Ford. If I were running Ford, I would be scrambling to get ahead of the curve and would be preparing a V8 Raptor to debut prior to the TRX launch to steal some of its thunder. If that TRX bases below $70K, it is going to eat the Ford's lunch. They are already talking about two versions: a full fat version with all 700+ Hellcat horsepowers and a "lite" version with more like 500ish. That lite version, priced in the mid-$60K range should terrify Ford execs.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Last year Raptor going to be the Halo Raptor V8 , before new F150 switch over to Hybrid crap. I'm sure it will be Detuned somewhat and also it doesn't have the flat plane crank like the gt350 with reliability issues . Going to just like Buick GNX was halo car before FWD regal took over.