4x4 shift actuator issue/fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick302

Reaction score
I haven't used 4 wheel low in quite some time, and the other day I attempted to shift into Low. It gave me a few issues entering but the worst part was coming out: the display gave me the "shift delay- pull forward" notification. When I put it in drive, tried to idol forward a few feet and back to neutral and try to catch the gear, nothing happened. It was idoling at neutral. After messing with it a few attempts, eventually it shifted back to 4wh with a thud and a grinding sound. To troubleshoot and check I tried a few things and attempted another two times. Same issue each go. Am I looking at a vacuum or actuator issue? hopefully not a greater issue? How can I troubleshoot?

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used 4 wheel low in quite some time, and the other day I attempted to shift into Low. It gave me a few issues entering but the worst part was coming out: the display gave me the "shift delay- pull forward" notification. When I put it in drive, tried to idol forward a few feet and back to neutral and try to catch the gear, nothing happened. It was idoling at neutral. After messing with it a few attempts, eventually it shifted back to 4wh with a thud and a grinding sound. To troubleshoot and check I tried a few things and attempted another two times. Same issue each go. Am I looking at a vacuum or actuator issue? hopefully not a greater issue? How can I troubleshoot?
I'm not sure on the raptor but my ranger had a little electric motor on the transfer case that went bad I think they need to be shifted in and out to keep them functioning ? The clunking is normal though.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Curt Kautsch

Reaction score
I can provide some input here. Either one, or all of the below fixed my very similar problems discussed above:

1) I replaced the TC motor. I adjusted the torque spec to the required 89 in. lb. on all 4 bolts (i think this is critical)
2) I would suggest this to everyone. REMOVE the IWE system all together (Even you Gen 2ers). I understand that it may cause minor premature where, but Ford is the only manufacturer with this system to gain as little MPG to appease the EPA (to my knowledge). The system is garbage and needs to be gutted. (I suggest RCV rings for this $150/pair). 1 hour job if you are mechanically savvy at all.
3) User Operation and sequence of engaging 4L is critical as well. First come to a COMPLETE stop, even letting the motor and gears to spool down completely while in neutral. Second, shift in to neutral (if the cluster indicates "shift delayed, pull forward" DO NOT shift to drive as this confuses the system. Give it a few seconds to engage, and lastly and most important DO NOT depress the brake at any time as this will also disrupt the sequence and it engaging properly. Yes you will hear a slight "clunk" when engaged, this is normal. Follow the same procedure to disengage.

Hope this helps someone....

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's also worth shifting the vehicle into 4 hi and 4 low at least every oil change. It will help you find any faults early and helps keep everything from seizing due to disuse.

alex zopp

Reaction score

do you often use 4l? if you use it rarely it is a typical problem.

before changing the electric motor or anything else, put yourself in a flat place, insert and disconnect the 4l ( from 4h to 4l) without moving the truck at least 5 times even if an error appears on the display. later you will see that it probably resolves. it had happened to me too recently, oxide is created in the clutch mechanisms

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this question. I have been having this exact problem for the past couple of weeks. I decided to test the 4-wheel drive system in my Raptor prior to doing a fluid change and the results were as the op stated, not what I expected. I changed the fluid anyway thinking the TC was toast. On the test drive after changing the fluid I tested shift on the fly to 4 hi and it was smooth as butter. Yesterday I mustered the courage to try 4 lo again and the same shit storm happened in the shift process. I'm going to try the suggestions from the responders to this thread as I was doing all of the things they say not to do, foot on the brake and shifting to drive. Hopefully no permanent damage to the TC and the shifting gets freed up, fingers crossed.